Road tolls and bullying collection costs

ponyboy, Feb 25, 6:56pm
Travel on toll road, pay fee about 10 days later.Month after that get an infringement notice for $40 for failing to pay the toll.Write in with receipt.They reply, you didn't pay within 5 days so you get the ticket and we won't waive it. I won't back down to them and as it was 2 trips there was 2 infringement notices for $40 each. I'm sure a District Court judge would take a different view when the test of "reasonable" is applied.

cuda.340, Feb 25, 7:26pm
which toll road was that!

smac, Feb 25, 8:06pm
Soo.you missed the 20 foot high signs huh!

ponyboy, Feb 25, 8:51pm
Toll Rd at Orewa

neo_psy, Feb 25, 10:28pm
I'd be interested to see the outcome of this.

Essentially a private road, with T&Cs clearly displayed (5 days, etc) that you accepted by using the road.

I suspect if it goes to court, they'll hammer you with legal costs too. I'd probably throw myself on their mercy to see if they'll cancel one and pay the other.

icemans1, Feb 25, 10:29pm
LMAO good luck boy, by the way it's a only a $2 toll each time you use that toll road. you can pay over the phone as well.

hey boy, why didn't you use the old road so you didn't have to pay the toll!

jezz43, Feb 25, 10:48pm
it clearly states 5 days to pay on the signs, and it advertises the alternate route and the toll bridge up coming for the best part of 15kms. it takes 2 minutes to call them up and pay or stop off and pay at the self service terminal.
i doubt you would have a leg to stand on in court. if you cant see the signs, you shouldnt be driving. man up and pay the bill

icemans1, Feb 25, 10:53pm
$2 road toll will probably end up costing you $200 + loss of earnings through going to court

'thankyou very much for your kind donation'

whynot7, Feb 25, 11:13pm
what a winner. thanks for wanting to clog up the court system with your own stupidness. waste tax money and time .pay it .if its to hard to learn the rules of operating a car stick to ya ponyboy

franc123, Feb 25, 11:19pm
You accepted the T&C that payment has to be made within 5 days, you are flogging a dead pony.

clark20, Feb 25, 11:24pm
Ignorance is not an excuse, but obviously a major problem.

phillip.weston, Feb 26, 5:06am
I've paid 6-7 days after and haven't seemed to be stung (yet). But yes I agree it is quite easy to pay, I just do it online when I get home. Don't even need a credit card, it works with your internet banking.

alimac1, Feb 26, 7:46am
I heard they weren't bothering to collect them anyway. Apparently there are several hundred thousand dollars owing that they aren't bothering about.

rsr72, Feb 26, 8:14am
It's a primitive collection scheme and ought to be scrapped.
Overseas visitors are highly amused at such an awkward manual method of paying tolls.

maia13, Feb 26, 7:31pm
That doesn't sound right or reasonable to be told to pay 40 bucks for not paying within 5 days. I've been stung a few times now and last one I paid two weeks later with only $4.20 to pay but have never received a $40 fine. Take your case to the ombudsman. Definitely unfair.

twink19, Feb 26, 8:23pm
at least you paid, not like the thousands who havnt and never will

intrade, Jun 1, 11:52am
fact is however it was paid for . otherwiseyou want a refund of 4$ when you pay 80$ that is what i would say to the court 40$ is not reasenable its a few 1000%what the original fee that was paid but late paid was.