Anyone Good At Websites?

zephyrheaven, Feb 27, 7:43am
Seeing as I might be moving premises soon I really need to set up a website (everyone seems to find me interneterly now) so would like advice / help on building a basic website for automotive! Cheers - James Chch

gunhand, Feb 27, 7:45am
Interneterly.excellent lol i like it.And no, totaly clueless here.

phillip.weston, Feb 27, 7:46am
how many pages James! Just the one 'homepage' with a bit of your info or a multi page site!

zephyrheaven, Feb 27, 7:49am
Just a homepage would be fine!

phillip.weston, Feb 27, 7:49am
basically you will need a domain name ie www.mycoolgarage.co.nz which you can buy from a domain registrar, I use www.discountdomains.co.nz, then you will need web hosting which you link your domain name to, this is where your website info/data is physically stored on the internet. Both of those are relatively easy to acquire and setup, it's more of a case of actually making the website info/data, you can do anything from make it from scratch or setup a popular open-source (free) content management system, right through to paying a webdesign firm to make up your website.

morrisman1, Feb 27, 7:55am
I have a friend in christchurch who builds websites, Ill ask him if he is keen on a 'cashie'

I would have every confidence that he would provide good service and good product

zephyrheaven, Feb 27, 7:56am
sweet

my cousin made a nice one using wix but looks a bit tech for me lol + I want to change business name soonish = if people search Neil. they wont find it / or I could tag that I dunno

zephyrheaven, Feb 27, 7:56am
thanks mate!

unideck, Feb 27, 8:13am
Guy that built mine could sort it for you James, mail me and I will give you his contact detail. I will be calling him tonight too. Hes a Kiwi but just moved to the UK (sister lives North Chch too), good thing about him he keeps it simple inc the cost :)

dr.doolittle, Feb 27, 8:20am
Just go to these guys. it's DIY & idiot-proof.
http://www.webs.com/
It's FREE, that's right.FREE, NADA, ZIP!
You only have to put up with a little bit of advertising down the side which no-one reads anyway.
I did my own site & with a few keywords & the occasional re-submission to Google my business quiet often even comes up above Finda's own pages in a search.

elibear, Feb 27, 9:52pm
Hey buddy, you are right most people seek businesses out through the net now.

Free sites with advertising links are okay but I find them irritating myself, try www.websitebuilder.co.nz

They have simple DIY templates and can doing hosting, domain registration etc. Pretty straight forward stuff

dr.doolittle, Feb 28, 1:00am
But you're using one now.(A site with adds).
You can still go free & look professional.
With the link I gave the adds a minimal, NOT animated and you have access to the stats.(who & when your site was visited so you can measure it's effectiveness). I'd offer a link to my own but dont want to self promote.

unideck, Feb 28, 1:06am
Come on Dr, sharing is the way to go haha, give me a clue ;) Hey, new project will be starting soon too with a quad design bike that crawls rocks, its a scratch built too and you know I love a challenge mate lmao

dr.doolittle, Feb 28, 1:21am
Hi Uni, just make sure it's not another 'axle snappa'.
I remember your trike well. I'm sure I'm only alive because I didnt buy it. LOL.
If you were to Google something like 'paint stripping Auckland' you might see something.

fordgod, Feb 28, 5:12am
Yep, I use webs.com for my website. Easy to use and works fine.

lookoutas, Feb 28, 5:30am
You know this guy called Karl don't you! I'm sure he could sort you out.
And like I mentioned on the phone. "Hold cap in hand and ask John for help"

male_timaru, Feb 28, 5:31am
my website is a webs.com one too - www.lifefittraining.webs.com

have a look and see what you can create - did mine in 5 hours

there's a link bottom left to clikc on to create your own one too james - so very easy to do as well and you can update whenever you like etc - some really good car designs on there too for sites

wills, Feb 28, 5:32am
If any of the above dosn't work out remember foxdonut (He posts on here) does websites. He is busy with family commitments at the moment so is likely looking for smaller projects "on the side" like yours. He gave me lots of excelent free advice for a project I was doing. Top bloke!
www.foxdonut.com

stevo2, Feb 28, 6:34am
I've also used webs.com.http://chippienz.webs.com/apps/photos/ but I"ve forgotten my login details so I cant update it lol
Cheers Stevo

lookoutas, Feb 28, 6:39am
That was a good link MT. Might have a tutu in there myself.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 2, 10:10pm
www.dieselvspetrol.webs.com lol mine is webs as well!
BTW that was me sugesting foxdonut, borrowed computer auto login etc.