Speedo ratio boxes

morrisman1, Sep 24, 12:01pm
On my big list of things to do is the speedo cable in the morry. It has a nissan 56a gearbox (120y 4 speed box) and a standard morry speedo. I need a ratio box because apparently the difference is significant. I could get the speedo calibrated but the odometer will still be out by a lot.

Where could I get a ratio box from or will I possibly end up having to make one!

hydraline, Sep 24, 6:23pm
Simply and easily fixed! 1: Remove the gook made engine and trans and put it in the scrap where it should be. 2: Refit the proper BMC engine and trans. This will increase the value of the vehicle

berg, Sep 24, 7:03pm
Try basis in Renwick Blenheim (google is your friend). They don't show anything on their site but if you give them a ring they may be able to help.
The other person I would suggest is the fella who repairs gauges in Vanguard St in Nelson (can't remember his business name but a quick ring round will tell you). Hes really good and does a lot of this sort of work.
Failing that there is always google and bring something in from overseas

2get1, Sep 24, 9:19pm
robinson or robertson instruements in auckland do them

morrisman1, Sep 25, 4:01am
thanks very much guys

bigfatmat1, Sep 25, 7:08am
+1 or parrotts chch

The guy in nelson mentioned I would not recommend at all.

ginga4lyfe, Sep 26, 12:48pm
1: not the solution to which he was wanting
2: Refit the heavy slow thing! and what! increase its value! you gotta be joking!

bill-robinson, Sep 26, 7:01pm
Surely the speedo drive is dependent on diff ratio and tyre size not gearbox ratios. the cable ends might differ but thatis easy to fix.

muzz67, Sep 26, 7:26pm
Has it been driven yet! You may find it is wildly undergeared and need to fit a Morry Major diff. Settle on a diff before having something made.

morrisman1, Nov 22, 1:18pm
I have a toyota starlet diff in there, it is 3.9:1 if I remember correctly but I did a gear calc on it and it was 3500rpm at 100kmph which is about right.

I just rang parretts in chch and they were most helpful. Instead of a ratio box they said they could put different odometer drive gears in and recalibrate the speedo which will correct both at a much lower cost than a ratio box.