Nissan d21 speedo not working

steelman3, Jul 13, 6:01am
i have a d21 it has a speedo with wires from the gearbox and the speedo ha stop working some times it starts but reads very low what do you guys think the problem is!

franc123, Jul 13, 6:35am
The drive gear on the output shaft of the gearbox is slipping probably, have come across it before on those as well as Terrano's.If you remove the speedo drive out of the side of the gearbox and you can turn the gear with your finger you will have to replace it, this obviously means the rear housing of the box has to come off.

ladatrouble, Jul 13, 6:48am
Make sure the speedo needle isn't bent and touching the dial - that's pretty common on Nissans.

mefloppychops, Jul 13, 7:53am
If the odo isn't working as well it could be quite handy when it comes time for RUCs lol

pettal, Jul 13, 8:03am
Yep been there done that= gets to be a pian having to tap thespeedo glass to see what speed you are doing .

bigfatmat1, Jul 13, 8:13am
could be the all common problem on the d21 being the speedo itself the stepper motor stuffs out best bet would be second hand pretty hard to find though.If ya have a scope ya can check the signal at the speedo its self only takes a couple of mins to get out if there is a signal its ya speedo.

steelman3, Sep 7, 12:46pm
thanks guys nothing works, whats a scope! I have a multimeter can I use that to
check for voltage .