Automatic vans

rpvr, Mar 3, 8:03am
Are there any small vans around with auto transmission! I have a use for a small van (like a Suzuki Carry) but they all seem to be manual.

im_andrew, Mar 3, 8:07am
there are auto L300s and townaces about, they are pretty small.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 3, 8:09am
What exactly are you carrying and how much do you have to spend!

rpvr, Mar 3, 8:15am
Not carrying much at all, I do road inspections and currently use a Toyota Starlet which is due for replacement. Have tried driving a van and the view of the road surface is better due to the height. The other alternative is a small SUv but dearer to buy and run. Need an auto because of the prolonged low speed work, have done it in a manual but it's just too tedious with continuous gear changing.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 3, 8:39am
Interesting use!
I am wondering what else might suit that say has the high view but dosn'thave the disadvantages of an SUV.
Something like my Multipla would be great being economical and with great visibility but they only come in manual.
Do you own the business and have to pay the running costs!

The guy from millars car centre posts on here and he usually has a collection of little runabouts some of which have the high seating. Might be worth having a look at whats in his yard for ideas or giving him a buzz.

I am wondering about the likes of the Daihatsu Move, whether that would be high enough for you!

franc123, Mar 3, 8:47am
Something that has a CVT may be a good option, as well as a high seating position/shortish bonnet, stop start driving is hard even on a conventional auto, naturally there are special servicing requirements that need to be taken into account.I wouldn't go with a Suzuki van, not only are they unsafe but they are about as comfortable as a portaloo and as much fun to be in, important when your vehicle is your workplace.

rpvr, Mar 3, 9:05am
Yep, will give it some more thought. I don't own the business, but provide my own vehicle and get paid a running allowance, in essence I'm a sub-contractor. Do most of my own vehicle maintenance, the current vehicle has stood up well but is getting a bit past it at about 250,000k. Brakes are the biggest worry with the stop-start driving, new pads every 10-12000k.

tuttyclan, Mar 3, 9:21am
What about a mid ninetys Toyota RAV4 or Hiace van.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 3, 9:38am
If you decide to go CVT make sure its a well respected unit and that it has its own oil filter. The Honda Jazz for example gave lots of problems in poorer countries where they use them as Taxi's. They just don't stand up to heavy use.

Like the other poster said, servicing is key. If you are doing lots of stop start work then reducing the service interval on the CVT by a third or even half would be wise. I am a CVT fan but I am not sure I would go CVT over Auto for purposes of longevity.

cocabowla, Mar 3, 9:40am
suzuki apv probably would have an auto wouldnt it !

thejazzpianoma, Mar 3, 9:42am
Not to knock tuttyclan but assuming you are doing high km's I wouldn't go diesel hiace. You have to do an oil change every 7500km and if you are doing the sort of km's I suspect you are that could drive you up the wall.
Plus those older Toyota diesels have a tendency to crack heads and/or blow head gaskets and unless its the 3.0 they are usually pretty gutless.

rpvr, Mar 3, 10:29pm
Many thanks to all for your suggestions.

tuttyclan, Jun 13, 10:50am
He could get a petrol one thats preferrably running on LPG
I still think the RAV4 is a good bet specially since he is not carrying any vast amount of load.