Hi-Stop lights- falling down

texastwo, Mar 3, 5:01am
Got a station wagon (old Nissan) where hi-stop light is glued to the back window.Had to replace it with a second hand one and now it wont stay up.
Tried really good strong double sided tape andrace tape and the heat just softens the glue and it falls off.Any suggestions on what to use to hold it up
Are there any reliable epoxy resins that bond plastic to glass that you know will actually do the job!.

im_andrew, Mar 3, 5:04am
Urethane like sika or carbond

twink19, Mar 3, 5:04am
double sided tape

johnf_456, Mar 3, 5:06am
Guess you didn't see this part. The key is in the prep work and type of tape.

tgray, Mar 3, 5:06am
You must first ensure the glass is completely clean. Scrape tape/glue etc off with a razor blade and then wipe thoroughly with a cloth using meths,
Use double sided tape and add a little bit of super glue to it.
It won't fall off again.

jono2912, Mar 3, 5:08am
Fitting these things is almost a daily job, the brand I use is particularly good, so the need to re-stick isn't necessary.

Although when I do repair them I use a 3M double sided foam tape. It is about $6 for a roll at Mitre 10.

jono2912, Mar 3, 5:09am
Yup, that too. Don't agree with glue on the window though. Try the stuff I mentioned above.

texastwo, Mar 3, 5:09am
I did all the cleaning stuff scraped everything off and used Meths. Then used the strongest D/sided tape I could which is special d/sided tape to hold carpet in position on concrete and it still cameoff. The trouble is that back window gets extremely hot and just softens the glue on the tape Super glue is the next to try but hoping that there was something else that somebody knew works.

texastwo, Mar 3, 5:11am
OK. Thats what I needed a reference from somebody who uses it regularly.

richardmayes, Mar 3, 5:26am
I saw "falling down" in the title and all I could think of was.

http://hwcdn.themoviedb.org/backdrops/143/4bd87090017a3c1c06000143/falling-down-original.jpg

(Apologies for spam, but as jono has now provided the solution. )

xs1100, Mar 3, 5:29am
3m tape is the best d/s tape around for this job

ola_bitchola1, Mar 3, 5:38am
i also use 3m vhb tape at work pretty much 1 shot to stick anything on then good luck if you want to remove it

texastwo, Mar 3, 8:39am
Sounds like a useful consensus will get some tomorrow andlet you know how it works. I was told that the carpet d/sided tape was the very best as you can tape it to a garage floor and it doesnt move even with big heavy cars driving on it.however its obviously not for this job.

jono2912, Mar 3, 9:11am
Specific things for specific jobs.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 3, 9:16am
If you have no luck with the tape and its a nice flat precision fit against the glass I would be very tempted to try using rear view mirror glue.

You buy it in a single shot/use from the likes of Repco. Its designed to hold rear view mirrors onto windscreens so is ideal for gluing to glass. Its pretty amazing stuff and well out performs epoxy's like araldyte etc. Makes for a nice permanent job.

tgray, Mar 3, 7:26pm
If all else fails, simply move the light to the bottom of the glass so the housing is sitting on the the rear parcel shelf, Still tape it to the window. That solves it once and for all.

jono2912, Mar 3, 8:03pm
I think it was a station wagon.

texastwo, Mar 3, 10:38pm
Yes it is a station wagon. Though possiblyI could make a small shelf that fits just below the glass and secure the hi-stop to that. Might mean a rewire though.

texastwo, Mar 3, 10:39pm
Thanks, will investigate.

johnf_456, Mar 3, 10:51pm
Yup ^^

s.patete, Mar 4, 3:21am
go find somewhere that does windscreens and see if they will put some of that window goo on it for you, had the same thing on a mondeo wagon, window goo worked a treat never came off again.

texastwo, Jun 13, 6:40pm
Now thats a thought. Thanks