Removing starter from 4WD U13 Bluebird?

Page 1 / 2
jasongroves, Mar 4, 2:16am
I give up.I officially hate this car.

mrfxit, Mar 4, 2:22am
Agreed

But heres the kicker for me. it's the wifes ;-(

tmenz, Mar 4, 4:39am
Get the Missus to do it - she'll have smaller hands!

wrong2, Mar 4, 4:55am
hahaha. . . . . . . . . awwww

sounds like me & landrovers. i will never touch one again

ever

jasongroves, Mar 4, 8:03am
Smartarse.lol

jono2912, Mar 4, 10:07am
Does that surprise you!

wizid, Mar 4, 8:01pm
long skinny hands are required.took me 4 hrs to get my primera 1 out and back in . good luck

jasongroves, Dec 30, 4:31pm
Anyone got any tips for doing this!
I've done a few SR powered vehicles starters before but never a 4WD one.
There just honestly just isn't any bloody room!
Am I just going to have to bite the bullet and remove the intake etc!
Its just a cheapie I picked up for next to nothing (few small issues) but this friggin starter is doing my head in! Lol.
Its a 1991 SSS-G Attessa SR20DE.
Cheers guys.

wrong2, Dec 30, 7:21pm
ive done the 4WD primera , your just going to have to squeeze your hand into there

& beware taking the gearbox off , it has a long input shaft & you simply cannot get the box off . you have to remove the engine

tintop, Dec 30, 7:34pm
I have a N15 Pulsar 4WD - same problems with starter and gearbox removal!

Thanks
Ian f

jasongroves, Dec 30, 7:42pm
I've got the front wheels and struts off.maybe I can squeeze my hand in through the drivers side!
What a pain in the arse. Lol.
Theres no way in hell I'm taking the transmission out.

gtrmotorsport, Dec 30, 9:16pm
Yes the inlet manifold requires removal to remove the starter. i have done a few and have tryed other ways of squeezing it out but never was as easy as removing the inlet manifold. Its not hard to remove either.

jasongroves, Dec 30, 9:57pm
Thanks for that. Will hopefully get onto it this afternoon and will post back with results:)
Just got to find some standard springs (previous idiot owner cut them).

gtrmotorsport, Dec 31, 3:01am
Bet you the brushes are worn and the armature is burnt out.

jasongroves, Dec 31, 3:54am
I bet you're right;) Have done a few on these and Primeras.very common. Bit easier to remove on the FWDs.lol.
Easy enough starter to rebuild though luckily.

wrong2, Dec 31, 6:16am
i got the socket with a knuckle fitting down in there , then fitted a short extension with another knuckle fitting & finally another longer extension

but i guess if you havent got girly hands like m then your stuck with taking the inlet off :)))

apparently the SSS turbo with the proper Attessa system was a great performer in the corners . as in WRX type performer. with the 4WD system it ended up being a balanced saloon

dent, Dec 31, 6:24am
Yeah i had one of those manual sss turbos. Went blody well and did hold well to the road.

wrong2, Dec 31, 6:27am
only 240 horse standard , but so what - its an SR20 :)

all they need is a front camber adjust & a rear swaybar & your stocker hugs the road like a WRX

bigfatmat1, Dec 31, 8:11am
4wd u13 bluebird piece of piss you do not have to take manifold off I take exhaust of at manifold flange and two brackets take bout 15-30mins to get starter off depending on tightness exhaust bolts becareful notto brake the plug on knock sensor as i have done before expect 45min to stick back on and easier with two people to put back on I can take em off recon em and have them back on in a hour and a half but ive done quite a few

jasongroves, Dec 31, 8:35am
Does the transfer case still not get in the way Mat!
Your idea sounds a hell of a lot easier so I'm pretty keen to give it a go.
Ended up working on another car instead because I didn't even want to think about the bloody Bluebird.lol.

jasongroves, Dec 31, 8:39am
208HP actually;) Still isn't too bad out of a nearly 2L 20 year old family sedan.

bigfatmat1, Dec 31, 8:44am
undo the batt supply with a quater drive and 12mm socket and a 6inch extension though near the axle. remove air box and bafflesunbolt the starter. when removing work it round the water pipes push the exhaust out of way and squeeze through gap is possible just a bit tight take note the path and direction you took starter out. Otherwise can be tricky to put in. pretty easy compared to some lol

bigfatmat1, Dec 31, 8:45am
you need to get ya arms right in there and a hoist or pit would be best

jasongroves, Dec 31, 8:47am
All right.I'm gonna give it a go(tomorrow). Lol. Wish me luck;)

jasongroves, Dec 31, 8:48am
No such luck I'm afraid. Just gonna get it as high as I can and get as much crap out of the way as possible.