Needing help on locating 4WD Tuition

wizard21, Mar 4, 5:05am
Evening all
Brought a 4WD recently, would like to learn how to take advantage of my vehicles capabilities, (mainly because of the Christchurch disaster) but can't find any organisation in Wellington that provides guidance on how.I don't want to join a 4WD Club as I'm not interested in climbing mountains, or going through mud (as appealing as it may be to some) I just want to be able to put it in 4WD Mode and be able to manoeuvre my way home if there was a natural disaster.Any suggestions!

wizard21, Mar 4, 5:57am
Thanks rob man for the advise.Think I might just take the plunge and get out into an open field and go-for-it, being a 45yr old female a little hesitant, but what the heck.Had a look at the 4WD forums, but no use to me as they are too technical, just needed some advise on how to get started, ie What gear to start in, and what the hell is the lever on my steering wheel for ! Can't look it up in my user manual it's in Japanese, please don't suggest buying a manual in English for $45 as I would only use it once.

tnt423, Mar 4, 6:05am
I suggest you tell us what type of 4wd you have.

wizard21, Mar 4, 6:20am
tnt423
It's a Toyota Surf 1996 V6, automatic, and me, being a female you will need to know it's green in colour. Any assistance in getting started is appreciated.

unideck, Mar 4, 6:25am
Give your local Toyota dealership a call, they most likely have "days out" for customers that you could tag along with. Jeep do it and Land Rover too on a regular basis. Check in to Offroad Express NZ and ask in the forum ;)

3388040, Mar 4, 6:58am
Hello. The first thing to note is that this is a part-time 4wd system.
The vehicle is not fitted with a centre differential and therefore 4wd must never be used under normal conditions on surfaces with a high level of grip. Using 4wd on tarmac under normal condition will cause transmission wind-up and may result in damage to the drivetrain of your Surf.

H2: Rear wheel drive only: Normal operation.
H4: 4 wheels driven: Press red button on side of 4wd selector. Indicator will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. You may select/deselect this mode at speeds up to 100Kph. Must only be used on loose surfaces such as mud, snow etc.
L4: 4 wheels driven, Lo-Ratio engaged: Select neutral on main gearbox, move 4wd selector lever fully back (position of button on side not important). Must only be used on loose surfaces such as deep mud, sharp inclines, descents etc where there is both a loose surface and a requirement for additional torque, lower speeds etc.

biddy6, Mar 4, 7:36am
http://www.on-track4wd.co.nz/
Have a look at this site

tnt423, Mar 4, 7:57am
Pretty much spot on for red ones.

Some Surfs you don't have to move the gear leaver to getH4, you just push the button on the side of the gear stick. And it changes to 4wd.

flitt, Mar 4, 8:01am
I laughed.

pico42, Mar 4, 9:59pm
I would recommend that you reconsider joining a 4WD club - you do not have to drive through mud and climb mountains, but they will show you how to use your 4WD to the best of its ability. They are also likely to have a place where you can use the vehicle without restraint.

I think the local club there is CCVC! Cross Country Vehicle Club!

Yep, it is - and they even have a website http://www.ccvc.org.nz/

gusthe1, Mar 4, 10:06pm
Go on one of the Regional Council trips. Plenty of drivers there for advice and not much more than a gravel road. Try here http://www.gw.govt.nz/4wd-back-country-akatarawa/

ralphdog1, Mar 4, 10:10pm
Not completely correct. If you engage 4WD with the button on the side of the transfercase lever rather than shifting the lever into 4WD the centre diff is in operation, so the transmission will not wind up. It is only at the point you shift the lever that the centre diff becomes locked and acts as a fixed 50/50 split.
At least that is how my VZN185 operates.

mrfxit, Mar 4, 10:20pm
Don't manic if it does get stuck even in 4wd, they don't tend to sink much & with those big tyres, tend to slid or skid a bit rather then sink in deep.
This of course means that if stuck, they are fairly easy to pull out compared to how far a std car will sink in the mud & wedge it's self in there.

Lots to learn & most of it's fun.
Start with gravel roads at a slow speed till you are used to that in 2wd & then pop it in 4wd on the gravel & wind up the speed a little.

Gravel roads are great for a 1st start to getting used to a 4x4 because the gravel allows you to get used to the little bit of sliding/loose movement that gravel provides.

Definantly agree with a 4x4 club perticulery for total beginners.
Good to hear you are wanting to use it for more then a road hack/kindergarten ferry/grocery cart

mrfxit, Mar 4, 10:25pm
Can't comment about the gear selectors because my Surf is a manual gearbox.
Crawling in 1st gear & 4wd should be fine on tarseal but turning the steering can be a lot harder on some 4x4's.
Good example of 4wd on tarseal being ok is towing someone else in a straight line, out of a ditch/mud bog etc
Backing a heavy trailer UP a steep driveway

"Straight line" being the key factor.

mrfxit, Mar 4, 10:36pm
Once you start playing in the mud, make sure you have an old pair of "closed" shoes- boots/JEAN's & old tee shirt on with spare clothes/towel packed.

Half the fun is getting dirty, the other half is making it through the mud to the end.

4wd tracks in summer are generally fairly good condition.
Wouldn't try a lot of them in the winter & certainally not for a novice in winter.

huffpuff01, Mar 5, 1:05am
I would recommend joining a club, Lots of clubs have beginner days, or women only days.
Be very carefully with a 4x4. you can get yourself into trouble very quickly if you do not know what you are doing. & especially without at minimum All Terran Tires.
without not knowing what you are doing. don't tackle anything more challenging the flat mud.
Never angle it down/up a hill. only straight down/up. and never lock the wheels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=U4_kG9PtXBM http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=YtZwL_2p7no
I was trying to find a vid of this guy playing on a field, with a bit of tiny slope, and the truck just slides all the way down.

wizard21, Mar 5, 4:54am
To Everyone that replied to my post, Thank you so very very much.There was some extremely helpful tips, I appreciate the time and effort.And I now have a few web sites to go to, to watch and learn.
Cheers Leigh-Anne

yendor, Jun 16, 3:49pm
Please remember it is not a car & will not handle like a car. High centre of gravity, long travel suspension, tires that are a compromise between on & off road, lack of crumple zones etc. Quite unsafe in certain situations.