Eletcrical Warrant on caravan, How Much?

Page 1 / 2
popeye333, Jan 14, 5:45am
Long time since we had a caravan, thinking of getting one. How much is an electrical warrant these days!

owene, Jan 14, 5:46am
$125. Fon't waste yr money.

popeye333, Jan 14, 5:49am
Would rather have one, then we can go into a camping ground if need be

owene, Jan 14, 6:20am
I've never been into a camping ground where they have either asked or checked for a EWOF. Their boxes all have RCDs fitted now so there's hardly any need. Don't worry about it. Save the cash and buy the wife a nice meal out instead - call it the "WOF Meal".

chris241, Jan 14, 6:27am
$60 down in dunedin just got one befor xmas. And i wouldnt call it wasting your money its called pice of mind and allso if you go to a camp with noe eletcrical you wont get any power

albundy, Jan 14, 6:40am
Gotone in December $68. Been to 3 camping grounds where they asked about your elec. wof - only one checked though - might be an insurance issue! :-)

brokebloke1, Jan 14, 7:11am
If you dont have a elec wof and you plug in and burn your caravan, the powerbox and every other caravan that is conacted to that pole im pretty sure Insurance wont cover you , plus its piece of mind,
We did a tour around the states 2 years back and every tralier park we stopped at they check our elec wof or similer when we checked in( we hired a caravan )

mugenb20b, Jan 14, 7:16am
To a point, I agree, but if a live wire touches anything metal, like the body, then the whole caravan can become live.

whqqsh, Jan 14, 7:46am
we got our last one for the camper from a place in East Tamaki, they didnt have it ready when they said so had to double-trip back again after work, charged more than told (excuse was fitting new style plug BUT they knew that when I first dropped it off) & didnt notice until I got home but camper had a scratch down the side & the fitting of their switch was amatuerish at best.

studio1, Jan 14, 7:51am
Bad advice. No electrical WOF and there could be a fault with the earthing on your camper/caravan. A kid comes along and touches the side of your camper and gets plated - possibly killed. All because you 'saved' a few dollars on a WOF inspection. Sorry but I wouldn't want that on my conscience.
Don't tell me it doesn't happen because it does. All too often. Might not make the news every day but I've done electrical checks on plenty of caravans and not all of them were safe.

robbief, Jan 14, 8:13am
got one cost $88 have never used the power or been in a camping ground.have put in solar panels so can freedom camp have been months and never been short of power.tv lights

owene, Jan 14, 8:37am
Do you know how RCD's work!

popeye333, Jan 14, 7:36pm
Id rather have one for peace of mind.

And the cost of an electrical warrant, normal warrant and tralier rego is a heck of alot cheaper than buying and running a motorhome

Owene, Im the Mrs.lol

owene, Jan 14, 9:35pm
mugen20b if you knew how RCD's worked, you'd have never made that rediculous claim. All campsite supplies have them fitted.

mugenb20b, Jan 14, 10:23pm
I know how RCDs work. What if someone doesn't go to a campsite! They are parked up in the driveway most of the time, or next to the house. Let's assume they get power from the extension lead.

Which reminds me. It's kind of like those guys that do under floor insulation with those tinfoil sheets. One staple through the sheet and a live wire rusults in the whole sheet being live = instant electrocution.

elect70, Jan 15, 3:15am
Definatley pays to have it done .common onfor developing bad earths on the plugs . Dont rely on RCDs to save you

owene, Jan 15, 3:53am
Now you are exhibiting a total lack of knowledge about anything electrical!

kwaka5, Jan 15, 5:01am
x1
Here's something to consider then. It's law. We charge $50 and it's for 4 years. Is it really that much of an issue to have a peice of electrical equipment inspected to make sure it is safe for you and your loved ones,friends etc. Come on guys be sensible. And not all caravan parks have RCD outlets so don't think you can just rely on some one elses gear. Get it tested

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 5:08am
I think you are right.

chris241, Jan 15, 6:12am
im with you on this. Ours is a english import and it failed the eletcrical wof rcd didnt work no earths. Is now all safe with NZ RCD in the main power box thing. This is somthing you should never piss around with in my eyes

owene, Jan 15, 6:42am
Why ever would anyone wish to piss in your eyes!

If you've imported a UK caravan then you will know that the chassis rust precludes any earth leakage and thus makes them the safest type of 'van to be inside (electrically speaking).

chris241, Jan 16, 3:52am
What drugs are you on the chassis is galv so wont rust fool

mears69, Jan 16, 7:50am
we do them for $40 if you bring them in to us

matthew111, Jan 16, 7:52am
ask at VTNZ

franc123, Jan 16, 8:59am
Huh!What would they know about it!