Urgent help - brakes (pad change)

Page 2 / 2
sr2, Mar 3, 8:01am
Lol "snap".

johnf_456, Mar 3, 8:06am
Well I was just correcting you since you were correcting other people, when most people knew what it was been anal. (doing it right back to you). Not that my own spelling and grammar is fully perfect.

sr2, Mar 3, 8:26am
I share your dislike of the TM spelling police; in many instances I find it not only unnecessary but often verging on inverted snobbery. I was not correcting the spelling I was correcting the wrong choice of word.

johnf_456, Mar 3, 8:29am
Well why mock others if your own is not perfect / don't like it. I don't care about spelling, I only said something cause you were been the nazi police so I did it right back at ya. When I knew what it was even though it was spelt wrong.

sr2, Mar 3, 9:35am
I was anything but correcting a spelling mistake; a substance with a tendency to absorb water is often incorrectly described as being ???hydroscopic???. Surely the posters use of the wrong word accompanied by an explanation of the intended meaning demanded clarification!

carkitter, Mar 3, 12:13pm
Are you kidding! The piston dropped out of the caliper allowing massive amounts of air into the system and exposing the fluid to moisture, and you say the bleeding the brakes is optional! It is mandatory in that situation. I would be advising getting some experienced help rather than letting him bumble on alone. What about proper adjustment of the rear brakes and avoiding damaging the master cylinder seals! Brakes are too important to get wrong.

jasongroves, Mar 3, 12:42pm
Where does it say that the piston dropped out of the calliper!
Why do the rear brakes need adjusting when replacing the front pads!

jasongroves, Mar 3, 12:44pm
To be honest, I think you have totally misunderstood what has happened in this situation.

therafter1, Mar 3, 6:17pm
+ 1

Brakes (or any other safety related items on motor vehicles) are not a good place to experiment with your mechanical capabilities, nor be given pointers by the potentially equally inexperienced !

jono2912, Mar 3, 7:59pm
Actually, Jason was completely right, and once again, so was Biker.

Thanks for your help everyone.

therafter1, Mar 3, 10:25pm
We aren??

jasongroves, Mar 4, 12:53am
I think there was a simple misunderstanding, where some thought that the calliper assembly had actual been removed from the vehicle and stood on.
My thinking, was that the brake pedal had been pushed down while the pads were out, causing the piston to push out.
I do agree that brakes are not to be messed with, and also that bleeding brake fluid to replace with new should be part of regular maintenance.
However, it doesn't need to be bled at each brake pad change;)

therafter1, Mar 4, 6:25am
Providing some berk doesn't stuff their foot on the pedal and pops your piston out while the calliper is open and the pads are out of course . lol

I vacuum bleed every calliper after every pad change, whether it needs it or not. My theory is that it reduces the possibility that a little air may have got back in during the piston compression process while the bleed nipple is open and decreases the chance of having a pressure discrepancy between the callipers on either side of the vehicle. Then short little pumps to push the pistons back out, then a small top up at the master cylinder, thena bed in procedure as required.

unbeatabull, Mar 4, 6:36am
Not all brake fluid is Hygroscopic. Only Glycol-Ether based fluids are, Silicon Based doesn't absorb water.

muzzaandmich, Mar 4, 7:08am
. next thing you are out driving.use the brakes,,,, pedal goes to floor,,,,,,accident,,,, could be avoided by useing the qualified mechanics

carkitter, Mar 4, 7:38am
Correct.
Wouldn't hurt though.

Each front brake line is connected to the diagonally opposite rear brake line. So air entering the system at the front also affects a rear brake too. Hence, all 4 wheels should be removed and all 4 brakes bled. While doing so I'd check and adjust the rear brakes too. It's good practice.
All this is getting rather complicated for someone who manages to dislodge a caliper piston during a pad change. Therefore, my advice to get some knowledgeable help.

robertsons-nes, Mar 4, 8:39am
my giddy aunt hahaha all over some brake pads,as said really if the guy need this much help should really of had someone watching over his shoulder rather than running back to the computer every 5 mins.
most people would accept brake fluid as brake fluid and would accept that it needs changing every 2 years

jono2912, Mar 4, 8:52am
To be honest, how else am I supposed to learn! All I really asked was how to get piston back in!

therafter1, Mar 4, 5:18pm
Keep your hair on Jono. Nobody is rubbishing you as such, merely suggesting that brakes are not a good place to hone mechanical skills. If the job isn't done right the possibility of failure is quite large and the consequences of that failure can be potentially fatal. Brake repairs by the inexperienced really should only be carried out either by or under the supervision of suitably qualified personal. I carry out routine brake repairs on a regular basis (including on emergency vehicles) and I always ensure that it is done to a particular standard with no shortcuts employed, and I always double check everything that I have done and test the brakes thoroughly as a part of the job.

I have experienced brake failure in the real world on two occasions (not thru anything I have done). On both occasions no harm come from the failures but the potential on both occasions for either serious injury or death was very high.

jkm, Mar 4, 6:32pm
So did the piston come completely out or did it just move forward, so that the pads wouldnt fit! there isa big difference between the two events and some posters read it one way and some the other way. Must say I picked up a good tip with using the G clamp, I have always found it hard to force the pistons back when fitting new pads.
Finally good on ya Jono for giving it a go and succeeding.

jono2912, Mar 5, 6:41am
If I could I would. I only changed the pads, it wasn't a huge job. If I feel out of my depth, I simply wouldn't do it.

candy1213, Mar 5, 10:31am
dont stuff with brakes if you dont know how to to a job ,
you will kill some one or yourself
mechanics need work!

johnf_456, Mar 5, 11:00am
Total arrogance, simple why not find a mate or a neighbor that knows lots to show you. That way A: you learn how to do it B: you will know for next time C: save money D: its fun

So why not, rather than just suggest a mechanic. You wron't learn otherwise, everyone has to learn somehow and start somewhere so get someone to show you.

jono2912, Jun 21, 10:13pm
Fair enough.