Urgent help - brakes (pad change)

Page 1 / 2
jono2912, Mar 2, 11:37pm
So. I'm attempting the change the brake pads on my 1991 SV30 Camry. Something I haven't done before. Got pads out, 'someone' stood on brakes and the round (piston!) type thing in middle has come out and won't go back in! How do I fix this! Can't put pads in with it like this. Cheers

jasongroves, Mar 2, 11:41pm
Take the lid off master cylinder.
Slide one of the old pads in so its sitting against the piston.
Get a 'C' clamp or similar and use it to lock the old pad against the piston.slowly tighten the 'C' clamp until it pushes the piston back in.
Keep an eye on fluid level as you do it so it doesn't overflow.

jono2912, Mar 2, 11:46pm
Cheers Jason, will be back with an update soon

jasongroves, Mar 2, 11:47pm

almosttherenow, Mar 3, 12:45am
Who pushed the brake pedal! You might wana use the 4 muscles that cause your hand to slap em up side the head.
Is it right out or out abit!

toxicgreen., Mar 3, 1:30am
People got it wrong,, You have to rotate piston clocwize to send it bac in,,its envolved in handbrake self ajuster so rotate it bac in.

jono2912, Mar 3, 2:16am
Hey guys, got it back enough with Jason's advice, and now the pads are actually in I don't have enough clearance to get the pads back over the disc! Is this before I haven't got it back enough!

jasongroves, Mar 3, 2:21am
Yes, in some cases, on some makes.on the rear brakes.

jasongroves, Mar 3, 2:22am
I would say so.

jasongroves, Mar 3, 2:23am
And make sure the pads are seated correctly;)

jono2912, Mar 3, 2:23am
Psh, I don't wanna take them back outtt.

lol

robertsons-nes, Mar 3, 2:24am
didnt realise the handbrake operated off the front brakes as well.
also did you make sure the pads actual back plates were 100% identical before putting the new ones in i know on some mazdas they look the same but are about 10 mm differant but yes if they are the same you need to push the piston in further

jono2912, Mar 3, 2:26am
They looked the same, didn't measure at all, but BNT are usually pretty good with that anyway.

jono2912, Mar 3, 2:26am
Cheers guys back soon.

jono2912, Mar 3, 3:19am
Okay, so one side all done. On other side now, but master cylinder is full, and it won't go down!

xs1100, Mar 3, 3:40am
loosen the bleed screw now and then replace pads and then bleed whole system starting at furtherest brake bleed nipple from master cylinder 1st

jasongroves, Mar 3, 3:50am
Or just remove some fluid from the cylinder and top up when done.
You don't need to bleed the brakes.

jono2912, Mar 3, 5:11am
Yeah Jason, ended up doing your method.

Cheers for your help. All done.

xs1100, Mar 3, 5:27am
why not probably havent been done for ages and the fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water) which will then boil when it gets hot enough causing brake fade just top explain complete story

johnf_456, Mar 3, 5:31am
Nothing wrong with bleeding the brakes at the same time, brake fluid should be changed just like oil. Not at the same interval of course, but its needs to be changed so doing it while doing the brakes makes sense.

sr2, Mar 3, 5:42am
I think the word you were lookin for was "hygroscopic", good advice however on the regular fluid changes.

johnf_456, Mar 3, 5:48am
I think the word you were looking for was "looking" not "lookin".

wills, Mar 3, 6:10am
I think the comma you were looking for, should have been placed after the second use of the word "looking".

keith18, Mar 3, 7:31am
dont forget to put your foot on the brakes a few times before driving off .this adjusts the pad to the right position

3tomany, Mar 3, 7:37am
theres no fun in that