Is Z petrol still Shell?

Page 1 / 2
nzoomed, Jan 15, 4:02am
Or should i say is Shell petrol really Z!
lol
I cant see them legally being allowed to use the brands such as Vpower at all the remaining shell stations if they are not still selling Shell's Vpower formula.
But its still the same tankers going to all the Z and shell stations, so is it just rebranded Vpower advertised as Z95! lol
I know that the shell blue pennant kerosene is no longer available and the new stuff is clear and doesnt burn as cleanly, so it does bring into question what fuel is really being sold now!

henderson_guy, Jan 15, 4:03am
z are using the shell brand under license.

mtrsport, Jan 15, 4:14am
It all comes out of the same tap at Marsden point.I used to make it.

mk3zephyr, Jan 15, 5:14am
still lots of shell stations about, well in these parts anyway, always the last to get anything new fuel wise, heck they have only just put in a 98 pump at BP here, no-one else sells it in town.

galex, Jan 15, 5:18am
UmmNo.Greenstone energy dropped the Shell brand becos licensing the name was too expensive etc. They purchased the physical Shell assets in 2010.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm!c_id=3&objectid=10724857

henderson_guy, Jan 15, 6:05am
Umm yes. They purchased the assets, correct. However they stilll use the Shell brand under license until they have had time to complete the rebrand of all the outlets. At the moment, Shell stations still exist, and Z are using the Shell brand UNDER LICENSE until such time as they no longer exist.

henderson_guy, Jan 15, 6:09am
NB; they purchased the assets off Shell New Zealand.the branding rights are owned by Shell Global. You can read about it here http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm!c_id=3&objectid=10723544

nzoomed, Jan 15, 8:51pm
yeah but is it still actually shell fuel! I find it crazy that they would have to pay such a huge fee to licence the brand names!, its the same as selling coca cola, but only selling it as cola.
Imagine going to a bar that sold lion red on tap, but was not allowed to advertise it as lion red only "beer" or "lager"

They still sell Vpower which is a brand of fuel that people recognise, why wouldnt shell want their brands promoted!
Thats what really makes me wonder if it is shell fuel, it only comes from marsden point, I want to know if its still their formula or not, i still dont know why shell would want to pull out of NZ when they had such a large market share either.

kiwis0, Jan 16, 12:30am
Shell is Z Z is shell, the fuel is the same at Zshell.

wizid, Jan 16, 12:44am
why would you buy there petrol . its always 2 to 3 cents drearer thananywhere else.z is for rip off.

nzoomed, Jan 16, 12:50am
actually shell and z are cheaper!

wizid, Jan 16, 12:53am
not where i live never has been

chutneyman, Jan 16, 2:42am
Theres still plenty of Indians working in the Z stations, So much for it been a NZ company.

trdbzr, Jan 16, 4:34am
Yeah only people with white skin can be kiwis.

3tomany, Jan 16, 4:40am
so you think only native new zealanders should work here no indians no poms where do you start and where do you finish most of us are imigrants

henderson_guy, Jan 16, 4:47am
One of the assets that they purchased was a 17% share in the Marsden Point refinery, so yep, same fuel, coming from same place.

robotnik, Jan 16, 5:39am
I do hope they keep selling V Power, which is a very good fuel I have found, and I am not imaging it either; my car has less detonation with Vpower than other 95 RONs, my computer car's computer says so.

gunhand, Jan 16, 5:46am
Yea ive noticed the tanker with V Power fuel on board dropping off fuel at other non shell stations LOL.

sharchew, Jan 16, 6:14am
2 to 3 cents dearer where did you get that info from! wizid

dave653, Jan 16, 6:50am
'Z'!, still looks like an '8' to me.

bleetbleet, Jan 16, 7:18am
i drive a shell/z tanker the base fuel is the same for both brands but there is a differant additive in the fuel,greenstone have told us that this will continue until all sites have "rolled over" to the z brand

pieman33h, Jan 16, 8:45am
shell / z i generally same price within 1 or 2 cents of caltex and mobil, its generally bp that is dearer by a couple of cents, i pass all the different brands all round the country and make a point of checkin out the prices, sure is interesting with different regions price wars!

nzoomed, Jan 16, 10:18am
ive been wondering if something along those lines is the case.

wizid, Jan 17, 12:54am
from z/shell water st whangarei today

sheena81, Jan 19, 3:17am
Hi guys, I'm Sheena from Z Energy. I thought I'd jump in and help clarify a few things, though some of you have already hit the nail on the head in terms of our fuels and the change over from Shell to Z.

Z Energy, a New Zealand company owned by Infratil and the NZ Superannuation Fund, now owns the fuel sales and distribution assets formerly owned by Shell NZ. Shell has been incredibly helpful in allowing us to continue offering V-Power at sites still branded Shell.

At Z sites, we have a new premium fuel (with a new additive) called ZX Premium Unleaded. ZX has high tech components that help remove deposit build-up on the inlet valves and by cleaning these, fuel can burn more efficiently enabling the engine to run more smoothly. So not only does it help clean your inlet valves, it continues to keep them clean. ZX also contains friction modification technology that helps improve engine efficiency by reducing friction between the cylinder liner and piston rings.

91 regular unleaded petrol and diesel is of the same high quality as under Shell, with most of it still being refined at Marsden Point.

If you'd like to have a conversation with us, feel free to do so on our facebook or twitter pages or drop us a line via z.co.nz. www.facebook.com/zenergynz; twitter.com/ZenergyNZ