Maintenance advice needed

jmhb51, Jan 15, 6:19am
Have just purchased a 1998 Honda Accord automatic with 150 000k on the clock.Car interior and exterior have been well looked after and are in original condition.
Unfortunately, there is no detailed service history.It has had one owner from new and he had it serviced by a mechanic friend.Owner did not know if cambelt had been changed and there is no sticker on the engine. It had an oil change and WOF done last week.

What do you advise I do for maintenance!Should I put it in to the dealer for a service now!And pay for another, unnecessary, oil change!Or wait 6 months!

henderson_guy, Jan 15, 6:24am
If you don't know for sure that the cambelt has been done, I would advise doing it.Check the colour of the coolant in the radiator, if it isn't a nice bright green, I would flush out the system and put new antifreeze in. If the oil was changed last week, it doesn't need to be done again. Air filter should be at least checked.Get your mechanic to check the condition of the transmission oil also.

1cocochanel, Jan 15, 6:50am
Take it into Honda dealership on St Asaph Street, they will give you a quote for cambelt & waterpump and they can check any other queries you have. They have free loaner cars. They of course use genuine Honda parts and they are quick. I rang around other mechanics but couldn't get a price cheaper than Honda could. Go there first. I'm really glad I did. Good luck!

budgel, Jan 15, 9:20pm
Why not ask the previous owner if you can contact his mechanic mate to check. It would save you quite a bit if it has been done.

kazbanz, Jan 15, 9:28pm
without question I would book the car in for a service and open up the cam belt cover. It will be pretty odvious if the cambelt has been replaced and you can move forward from there

hyphen, Jan 15, 9:29pm
if previous owner has said "I don't know" if cam belt has been changed, this is physco-babble for "no! the cam belt has not been changed and that is why I'm selling the car", capiche! Also, what's the bet he can't remember who the "mechanic mate" is or how to contact him

edangus, Jan 15, 10:22pm
Give the trans the full flush too!