Japanese Auctions

texastwo, Mar 6, 9:07pm
Been looking at one auction andStart bid is quite low but FOB price is very high. Can anybody explain what makes up the difference! Also what is a good site to look at that will deal with Kiwi buyers!

intrade, Mar 6, 9:39pm
best site to first look at is the importation emission law of the govt.co.nz
you wont be putting cars on the roadthat are not euro 3 or euro 4 emission compiant. emission test is done and if fail gets a stamp for scrap metal only.

20498, Mar 6, 9:43pm
On that note just wondering, if it doesnt get the stamp of approval for emissions can you take it away and get it up to that standard in turn getting the stamp stating that its fine to be registered!

neo_psy, Mar 6, 9:45pm
FOB is Free On Board in Incoterms.

Simply put, it's the cost to put the car (or whatever) on the boat.

For example:
Inland haulage
Documentation
Customs Clearance
Agent's commission
Stevedoring charges (that's for actually driving it onto the boat)

All that is covered under FOB charges - if you buy FOB, then the seller is paying those charges, and you are paying freight, and the local charges here.

carstauranga001, Mar 6, 9:48pm
That's dangerous advice mate. Yes a lot of cars from year 2000 meet the required 2002 emissions standard, but there are many that don't. Those with chassis prefix of GF do not comply. GH do comply, for this year anyway.

intrade, Mar 6, 9:48pm
i dontknow and i dont claim my above figures are correct they are to be found on the sites when you hunt long enough, it is a huge risk to import something that cant be registered ever. on the other hand we had a guyhere report a 1988 nissan safarie diesel was fresh on nz roads due to the law of 20 year or older cars not requiring a emission or frontal impact standard compliance or something. Do all the work befor you throw out money for scrap is what i want to say.

carstauranga001, Mar 6, 9:49pm
NO, NO, NO, good for parts only.

intrade, Mar 6, 9:55pm
20498 wrote:i can guarantee you wont bring a 1990s yapanese diesel to pass euro 4 no matter what you do to it.You can get a diesel to pass euro 1 with addon particle filters. There was a 2002 renault trafic diesel cheap for sale on here by a poor guy who did not do his homework it was not passing the emission law and could never be regod on nz roads . even do the same car is registered on the road its just he imported it after the rules had gone up to tighter emission law. Same is on petrol cars. The government only shows baised info like no diesel before 2003 are alowed in that is not entirely true as some tdi vw will be as clean as a 2004 diesel being 1998 model. its loads of work and you need the correct facts befor you go ahead or you end up like the guy with his renault van.

texastwo, Mar 6, 10:25pm
Thanks for that. Ignoring the other aspects mentioned (emmissions etc) which are not important to me as I have researched the cars I can import. Actually looking forabout a 2002 -2003 RAV4 which would comply. However as the difference from start bid of say Y500,000 can end up with a FOB price of Y1,400,000I was curious about the huge difference of Y900,000 and how it is made up. With a start bid of Y500,000 is it likely that it will sell for aboutY1 million with theextras being the fees ofCommission, transportation, clearance etc making up the Y400,000 difference. Seems a lot for those charges.

carstauranga001, Mar 6, 11:05pm
Start price means bugger all. You are being given a rough guide of sale price atauction plus agents fee.

My advice at present would be to buy a Rav already in NZ off a dealer at todays price. This year auction prices in Japan are up a lot due to lack of stock. The difference could be a round 2 grand snd on top of this you are not experienced at importing. All in all you are running a risk of being worse off. Why not buy locally and get the protection of the CGA and FTA. We as the dealer then take all the risk away for you. This is not self promotion as I do not have a Rav for sale at present.

texastwo, Mar 7, 2:32am
Yes Kabanz and Carstauranga. I am rapidly coming to that conclusion. The prices I am being quoted in Japan then landed in NZ are only a couple of grand cheaper than I can buy here and at least here (in NZ) I can see and drive the car.not take my chance

cuda.340, Mar 7, 2:36am
careful what you bid on. i know someone who has 3 corvettes & a couple of camaros he bought off japan e-bay REAL cheap. good for parts.

tigra, Jun 24, 9:56pm
Its quite interesting. just been exchanging emails with a Japanese agent and the prices he quoted are only 2-3 grand cheaper than buying here. You have to ask yourself is the risk worth it considering you cannot see it or drive it and cant even be sure that it will ever get here.The state of the NZ dollar doesnt help. Much as I hate to admit itit does make sense to buy locally.at the moment