Tig Welding question. with pics

Page 1 / 2
sfw4, Jan 16, 4:31am
Hi Team. I own a Lincoln V160 DC Tig. Cant seem to get it going properly. All it does when touching metal is light up to a brilliant glow then completely burns out tungsten to nothing. Anyone know what heat settings i should use!

saki, Jan 16, 4:34am
Are you using the thoriated electrodes those look like use for ally.they ball up.

saki, Jan 16, 4:37am

sfw4, Jan 16, 4:38am
correction, not touching but close arc [without touching]

sfw4, Jan 16, 4:39am
the young guy at Shop reckons yeah these are the ones. they had red tip at other end which i think is theoriated. alloy is zinctheoriated!

sfw4, Jan 16, 4:42am
#5 yeah good link. alot of info. cheers

saki, Jan 16, 4:42am
alloy is lathiated from memory, what gas are you using

sfw4, Jan 16, 4:44am
BOC pure argon. plenty coming thru when pushing button on handle

sfw4, Jan 16, 4:46am
photo 3
no matter what heat settings I try [trial & error] it still burns tunstan out. Im dam sure ive been sold the wrong Tungstan tips by young fella

saki, Jan 16, 4:48am
I would say they are the wrong tips

NZTools, Jan 16, 4:49am
Can the polarity be reversed!

sfw4, Jan 16, 4:52am
Lol got me. wouldnt know how to do that. any hints would be great

saki, Jan 16, 4:57am
Was the tip sharpened !

mrcat1, Jan 16, 5:18am
Swap your hand piece to the other outlet, have your handpiece in the negitive outlet, this from memory is straight polarity. I have the same machine but with pulse and not a bad little machine.

sfw4, Jan 16, 6:15am
thanks i'll try it now.

sfw4, Jan 16, 6:16am
yes. and sharpened in vertical position too

paull, Jan 16, 7:03am
is it set with positive hand piece or negative hand piece,

michelle322, Jan 16, 7:14am
output looks to be set at 130,drop to 40.tungsten sticking out to far from shroud,no more than 5mm.

woodsy2, Jan 16, 7:19am
Wrong polarity I would say. Swap leads. Try about 40 amps heat range. A switch at the top must be turned to tig.

sfw4, Jan 16, 7:31am
photo 23
typical man-cave. Bar, piss fridge and couch to crash out on.
thanks again lads. im away now.

wellabolla, Jan 16, 8:15am
Id try shapening the tungston a little bit more.ya get a slightly finer weld
lookin good though.

sfw4, Jan 16, 9:15am
yep. am heading down to buy new bench grinder wheels. others worn. plus a few more tungstan's

mrcat1, Jan 16, 9:22am
You want to sharpen them chemically rather than with a wheel, unless it is a dedicated wheel just for tungstons, get some Tung-sharp if u can, its in a little glass jar, its sort of like white power/granules, works very well.

toppo1, Jan 16, 9:30am
My guess it that you have the hand piece and the earth lead round the wrong way. Try earth lead on the possitive terminal(+)and the handpiece on the negative(-)

toppo1, Jan 16, 9:31am
Duh, just read whole thread and see you have your answer.