Speed wobbles question.

deflatedpumpkin, Jan 20, 12:15am
what could it be (apart from wheel alignment/balance)
hit about 85-90 in the mini and she starts to get a bit drunk on it, kinda like driving in a gust of wind. but it ain't windy!

curlcrown, Jan 20, 12:23am
does it go away again over 90! Have you had the wheels balanced! Also get the tyre shop to check all the tyres and wheels.

smac, Jan 20, 12:45am
We taking classic mini or BMW!

smac, Jan 20, 1:37am
Probably that scoop ;)

Why do you say 'apart from alignment/balancing/wheels'-
;, when that's probably what it is!

Not knowing the car, the most common alignment issue with them is a bent tie rod (usually by some muppet jacking under it) causing mismatched caster. This is usually felt under braking though.

Could also be:
Flexing front floor plan (and therefore moving steering rack).
Bent front subframe
Rear alignment issues due to bent subframe or worn trailing arm bushes/bearings (you do NOT want rear toe out)
Worn just about anything to do with suspension or steering, bearings

But I'd start with balance and alignment :)

deflatedpumpkin, Jan 20, 2:00am
thanks smac :) reason i said "apart from alignment/wheels", is that's the initial obvious thing to check. which i will be doing anyway. i was just wondering what other things there could be, so i can ask for them to be checked as well, otherwise they'll only do the alignment etc :)

mrfxit, Jan 20, 2:38am
A good guy on the alignment deck 'should" be able to spot a few things .
problem is finding 1 thats got some clues & not just the book.

deflatedpumpkin, Jan 20, 3:36am
yea roger that!really need to find a mechanic in chch who is good with old cars like the mini's. who isn't just a ripoff, there are a couple around here who certainly are just after the $

curlcrown, Jan 20, 4:09am
Any decent tyre shop will be able to help. Balancing and aligning is basicly the same for any car new or old. It will most likely be wheel balance, old tryes, even if there is still plenty of tred or out of round wheels. If a rim is found to be out of round on the front putting it on the rear might help.