Mitsi Chariot 98 smoking like mad

v8sronman, Mar 12, 10:04pm
Hi i have been using 20/40 oil and just managed to afford the 15/40 oil but now its smoking more than ever, i know these have a repor with burning oil but can i buy anything (besides a new car) or do anything to stop the smoking !

phillip.weston, Mar 12, 10:34pm
Put 20W50 in it, both the 20W40 and 15W40 are too thin for a worn engine. How many kms has it done!

fordluva, Mar 12, 10:35pm
IMHO probably not, you could try a wynns additive or something but if it does do anything it will only be temporary, we took our old one to several mechanics asit was using oil at 90,000km, they all told us we were wasting our time, one said he had someone spend several K on theirs doing a full rebuild, and it still used oil. I have heard some had success with different oils (slowed it down but never stopped) but it sounds like youve already tried that.

v8sronman, Mar 12, 10:46pm
162,000 kms

phillip.weston, Mar 12, 11:22pm
Try Mitsubishi's own MSL oil if 20W50 doesn't work. There is something messed up with those 4G64 GDI engines, of all the Sirius family engines they tend to smoke/consume oil the most, while the GDI 1800cc is absolutely fine in regards to oil consumption.

mrfxit, Mar 13, 2:00am
Perhaps a "catch can" trick as per diesel 4x4 to catch oil vapour before it gets to the inlet manifold

autocars1, Mar 13, 5:25am
Never ever tough GDI.but go back to the original oil, if it stops good.otherwise with the emmission laws for WOF's coming up it will never get another wof.

johnf_456, Jul 15, 1:59am
There already is smoke requirements for a wof, they have been saying stricter rules than now for a long time.