Ceased my compressor?

Page 2 / 2
dasfi, Mar 14, 4:13am
Its not seized, ipulled head off and piston barrel and crankshaft are all in working condition and fine, guessing its the starting capasotor!

hijacka, Mar 14, 4:54am
Are you shaw you checked it properly!
Can you move the rod backwards and forwards on the crank!
Im only set on that because thats were they crap out.
I've seen it first hand hundreds of times before
Lack of oil is usually the course or running them for to long.
There is no crank bearing or bush with them, just metal to metal
And when there over worked they heat up and metal expands siezing them.
There wont be enough force behind the motor to bend rods or anything like that not from faulty ones i've seen anyway.
To much oil can cause it to sieze aswell, the motor has to work harder to push threw exssesiveamounts of oil and results in more heating of metal moving parts

dasfi, Mar 14, 5:35am
yea checked it properly, piston and bore still looks brand new, and the metal thing the conrod goes on spins with ease

hijacka, Mar 14, 6:10am
Mmmm ok
Did all this happen when using it constantly for a longish period of time!
I've seen the belt driven compressor starting capacitors stuff out but never that direct drive type thou, But thats not to say it doesn't happen just that ive never seen it to be a 'common fault' on those.
IF you have it apart can you spin the sproket around that the conrod is seated on!
So inturn are you able to rotate the electric motorcore!

dasfi, Mar 14, 9:24am
yes i am able to freely sping the sprockt thing that the conrod sits on, i havnt tried to spin the fan by hand though

bjdw, Jul 18, 2:08pm
For some reason the cheap ones blow the starting capacitors if they are run off an extension lead.Repco can get replacement ones the the cheap ones they sell for about $40.