VN commodore bugs?

caramellover, Mar 14, 9:05am
firstly, fuel gauge not working but everything else in dash cluster is! fuse! where is it located! secondly, bogs down and shudders for a few seconds before taking off from stationary, whats happening here and how to overcome this! its a series1 auto v6 sedan, completely original but only gets driven maybe 30mins around town every couple weeks. any help appreciated cheers!

pge, Mar 14, 9:10am
Hi, I'm having the same problem with my fuelgauge.

I find, hitting the dash above it works. LOLOL (seriously)

As for the shuddering, get your tame mechanic to look at it -- it may be as simple as a tuneup.

Good luck, they are generally pretty reliable.

dasfi, Mar 14, 9:20am
Usually its a dry solder joint behind the dash cluster, allot have these probs as well as the vr and vs model commodores, any yes hitting the dash usually works lol

icemans1, Mar 15, 2:08pm

whqqsh, Mar 15, 4:44pm
its called 'the holden handshake', gotta say hello to the old girl every morning by give her a tap on the dash lol. yup, I had a VN Calais with the same thing but it didnt bother me. Funnily enough if the car was something more exotic itd be called a 'character trait' much like I read a writeup about a Jap bike some years back that had a few nuances & the writer reckoned there were a few annoying habits that were deemed unacceptable in a jap bile yet would be accepted as 'character' if it were a Ducati, Moto Guzzi or Triumph.

vpholdie, Mar 16, 7:32am
yip I had a vp commy did the same thing they just stick give it a slap on the dash each day all good!

im_andrew, Mar 16, 7:35am
Its a dry solder joint on the earth for the temp and fuel guage in the cluster, you can fix it by taking the cluster out, taking it to bits and reheating/resoldering the solder joints on that part of the board. Done this on my VR. My VS doesnt do it, Im guessing because its got a different cluster (factory LPG) or because the last owner fixed it.

40wav, Jul 25, 1:08pm
My VS ute does it too. Thanks guys, good to know as I was going to pull the fuel tank out one of these days to try and find the fault. Funnily enough Ive noticed it usually works after Ive given it a bit of jandel for fun.must shake it up a bit I spose! Cheers.