Advice for a classic car newbie please.

Page 2 / 2
msigg, Jan 25, 6:10pm
Anglia would be good, that can be a daily runner.I see one being driven to work daily.

tyrebusters, Jan 28, 5:33am
mk1 cortina reliablecheap to maintain hold there value and dont rust much van get good around 4-7k with very little to do

theknightz, Jan 28, 9:46am
Cant recommend a car but could help with the "child or two"

locky6, Jan 28, 6:49pm
Not always. My 08 Ford is the biggest pile of crap ever! However this about classics and you would be hard pressed to find anything cooler than an early Mustang. The old Brit Fords are almost ( or more) expensive than the American ones.

gammelvind, Jan 28, 7:31pm
Lovely old cars these, easy to drive, parts available, drive in style.

pebbles61, Jan 28, 8:28pm
If you're new to it and budget isn't huge, a Mk. III Cortina could be a good choice! Unless you're a British car hater.

flitt, Jan 28, 9:01pm
#1 The requirements you gave strongly suggest a 50s Consul is not for you. I'd suggest you look for something in the 70s.

pebbles61, Jan 28, 9:13pm
The main thing to keep in mind also is that cars of these ages need TLC and will always need it. If you go in with that mind set you'll be fine whatever you get. Saying that some are cheaper than others. As flitt stated a 70s car may be more suited to your needs. The one thing I have noticed in NZ is that yank cars seem to command a very high price, no idea why (have no interest in them myself) where most Brit and Jap classics can be had quite a bit cheaper.

utbwb, Jan 29, 12:54am
Thank you all for your feedback. Cosmetically, I am quite keen on the consul, I suits the girly girl side of my personality. However I have taken onboard your thoughts on it not having enough power for me, I do like to be able to put my foot down on the open roads. I am going to keep putting a few more coins in the piggy bank and re approach further down the track once I have spent a bit more time familiarizing myself with the mechanics of a few models, and perhaps explored how I can give them a bit more oomph without too much expense. Sincerely appreciate all of your feedback/suggestions!

owene, Jan 29, 1:12am
If you're not financially flush or mechanically minded, suggest you stick to knitting.

owene, Jan 29, 1:12am
If you're not financially flush or mechanically minded (your words), suggest you stick to knitting.

mustangsally2, Jan 29, 7:16am
Now you're talking. an early Mustang

pebbles61, Jan 29, 8:26am
Austin Maxi would be good =D