HELP! Where is cambelt located on altezza?

theoakman, Mar 16, 8:23pm
Hi guys
Just wondering if anyone can help me.
I bought an altezza a few months back with 137 ooooks on the clock and would like to know if the cam belts been done.Any signs to tell its been done! and also where to look !
TIA :D

intrade, Mar 16, 8:26pm
ummmmmmmm you see the engine one side is the big thing called agearbox attachedother side hasbelts you see from outside. now behind these belts on the engine it selfshould be a plastic like coverinside there runs the timing belt, if it has onetake a pictureof your engine . you likely wont be able to check it your self if you have to ask where it is.

fiatracer, Mar 16, 8:27pm
actually, the gearbox will be at the back, and the belts at the front

theoakman, Mar 16, 8:28pm
geez cald down intrade i was asking for advice due to being a female and my dad isnt too sure either

theoakman, Mar 16, 8:30pm
calm *

intrade, Mar 16, 8:30pm
post year make and engine number then somone can check if its cam belt or chain driven. also a hint you can edit your post lol if you want to bother once posted.

theoakman, Mar 16, 8:35pm
is that the vin !

theoakman, Mar 16, 8:36pm
yep its a 1998 rs200

intrade, Mar 16, 8:37pm
be 3sge or something similarwill sayframe numberengine numberetc. we needframe and engine . alternative you can use carjam.co.nz you need to register there to get 3 free checks.
I am off to town now somone will know from your correct info.

theoakman, Mar 16, 8:38pm
ok car is in town at present will have a look when i get home. Thanks anyway

r15, Mar 16, 8:39pm
well its an altezza, so its rwd, or 4wd. but either way its a north south configuration.

it has 1 of 3 engines - 3sge, 1gge or 2jzge

cambelt is under the front cover of the enigine.

if it doesnt have a sticker saying its been done around there somewhere, odds are it hasnt been done.

if you're not sure if its been done, do it.

on the 3sge (the 4 cylinder one) its about a 45 minute job. and its really easy as there is so much room in front of the engine, due to it being a 4cyl in the engine bay designed/big enough for a straight 6.

if its a 1gge, i've not ever done one, but will be more difficult due to there being less space

if its a 2jz, it will be even more difficult as they are a very tight squeeze in there.

with all that said, its still going to be easier than most fwd east/west mounted engines.

also, still if you or your dad need to ask, its probably best to get a mechanic to do the job, as i know that both the 3sge and 2jzge engines and not sure but probably the 1gge are interference engines, meaning that if you get it wrong and attempt to start the vehicle, or damage the belt fitting it and it breaks, or it breaks from not changing it- its going to cost you a shitload more money replacing a head, or valves, or whatever else gets damaged in the process

r15, Mar 16, 8:39pm
rs200 means it has the 3sge engine.

theoakman, Mar 16, 8:45pm
Thanks r15.
Will book car in with my mechanic this week. thanks for your help

toxicgreen., Mar 16, 9:17pm
Those motors are cam belt,, pity you cant get the plasticcover bac enough to see in there , you might find belt has fresh looking writing on it witch would mean its quite a new belt, If a mechanic finds it looking newish he,ll just charge you top dollars an not even touch motor ,, you gota watch the auto trade lady,,.dodgy bunch them

tigra, Mar 16, 9:29pm
How would anybody know - you are using a "male" ID and your profile says you are John. Maybe get your own chickaccount.

ct9a, Mar 16, 9:32pm
theres a 4wd altezza!

theoakman, Mar 16, 9:36pm
Toxic -thanks for that thankfully i have a great mechanic who is honest and doesnt charge me the earth! . And yes tigra i should have mentioned i am a female using dads acc.

vtecintegra, Mar 16, 10:58pm
Yep but may have only been the wagon one.

You'd be surprised at how many Japanese cars have a 4wd version available

alimac1, Mar 17, 7:42am
I would suggest replacing the water pump at the same time, as 3S waterpumps do fail (mine started leaking slightly at 97000km) and the cam belt will have to come off again to to the water pump.

mantagsi, Mar 17, 8:59am
Despite all the jokes I still have a hard time believing that having a vagina results in a reduced mental capacity! Got to be the worst excuse for not knowing something! Why not just say that you don't know, don't blame it on what you got down your pants! Anyway good luck with the car

r15, Mar 17, 9:38am
yep, wagon only. also only has a 4 speed auto instead of the normal 5. and also only available with the 2jzge engine

theoakman, Jul 30, 2:18am
mantagsi i wasnt blaming it on that,why do you think i asked! coz i didnt know !