Dash lights on vg val not working

jason18, Mar 16, 7:13am
Hey Guys, Have a problem with dash lights not working, Oil and hand brake works but the rest dont to light up speedo etc. Any ideas!

im_andrew, Mar 16, 7:20am
start checking earths and stuff I guess.

Drive around for a couple of hours with your headlights on, they might just fix themselves - they did on my vj. They came on dimly and slowly got brighter and now they work as normal all the time.

jason18, Mar 16, 7:23am
haha really! bloody old cars dont ya love em. I might try that. Been having earthing problems so ran another earth cable and that seemed to help all the gauges so they dont flicker. Will have a check around there tomorrow and then try your idea!

captiankirk, Mar 16, 7:39am
pull the switch out and clean the contacts for the dimmer, if everything else is working including headlights then it is likely to be a poor connection on the dimmer, its on the same circuit as the headlights so shouldnt be a bad earth

xacoon, Mar 16, 7:40am
check who is logged in before posting. oops

jason18, Mar 16, 7:48am
Oh k sweet as I will look that over tomorrow.

pdc1, Mar 16, 8:14am
No wanting to appear silly but you have them turned on! Try twisting the headlight knob first before trying anything else.

almosttherenow, Mar 16, 8:45am
are your tail lights working! check ya fuse if theyre not.

jason18, Mar 16, 6:59pm
Yeah tried twisting etc. Interior light is missing bulb. Maybe that n eeds to be fixed before it will work! And yeah taillights working

xacoon, Mar 16, 7:07pm
nah interior light is separate, although can be worked from the dimmer switch too!

jason18, Mar 16, 10:27pm
Yeah It can dim via that switch.

pdc1, Mar 17, 12:36am
I don't think it is standard for your model to dim the interior light through the dimmer switch. If this is the case, then somebody has changed it to do so. Put a bulb in the light and see if it works. This will tell you if the dimmer switch is faulty/dirty. It also could be the way it is wired now, means that the interior light needs to work to make the dash lights work, although I think this would be unlikely. If you need to pull out the Light switch, there is usually a button or similiar on the switch behind the dash that you push in that releases the knob shaft out of the switch.

xacoon, Mar 17, 6:30am
nah dimmer shouldnt dim the interior, should be able to turn on via that switch is what im getting at

jason18, Mar 17, 6:35am
Sorry it might not be able to. I havent used it for last year and half haha. Ran out of time today but will take comments on board. Thanks guys

xacoon, Mar 17, 6:47am
twist the dimmer to the bright end of the spectrum and keep twisting, you should feel it click, thats how the interior gets turned on

jason18, Mar 17, 7:17am
Right fixed. I just kept adjusting the dimmer and the thing just clicked on really dim then kept moving back and forth and it got brighter. Cheers guys

xacoon, Mar 17, 7:20am
so your saying you havent used the val at all for 18 months! that would explain shitty contacts. not too much can go wrong with the electrics in these.

lookoutas, Mar 17, 8:48am
Those switches didn't last long years ago, so they're probably well past needing replacement now. The one in my Mustang only works half-assed, so it needs turfing one day. Overheating the switch by fitting halogen headlight bulbs hasn't helped much either, but relays have sorted that out.

jason18, Jul 29, 6:09pm
haha Yeah while it was being painted nothing has been used. Just got back on the road last couple of weeks