Vehicle re-vin

fish4funnz, Dec 14, 8:33am
Hey guys. I have an old s1 landrover im looking at putting back on the road its in really good cond. What sort of things do I need to look at for the revin.
Can you please tell me what is involved. Is there anything that needs to be replaced with new. it has new brake pads, lines and everything else is original except the motor which is an old 161 holden motor.
also will the engine have to be certed as well or will that come under the revin. It was last reg in 1996.
thanks.

bella-boo, Dec 14, 8:44am
Has to go through the hardest WOF check since manufacture.Then have lots of cash on hand.Re-vin cost is somewhere between 500 and 1500, depending on rechecks etc through VTNZ.You will have to talk to an actual mechanic about potenetial engine cert.

franc123, Dec 14, 8:49am
The motor swap should be OK providing you've got a declaration cert for it if its an old conversion.As for the rest of it just get an inspector to do a tough "dummy" WOF check on it, obviously before it goes for the real check any obvious problems with the usual, tyres, suspension, balljoints, seatbelts etc should be sorted, likewise check thoroughly for any rust and get that sorted too, in such a way that doesn't attract attention, ie invisible repairs :)I'd pay particular attention to the brake hydraulic cylinders etc if its been sitting for that long, anything thats siezed or leaking needs to be turfed or overhauled, in fact it would be wise to change them all anyway if it hasn't been done already, any issue here is going to be picked up during the roller test and will have to be rectified anyway.

fish4funnz, Dec 14, 9:10am
cheers guys that helps heaps. the engine isnt certd so may be cheaper to go back to original.
all the cylinders have been overhauled due to it springing a leak 1st time used.

smac, Dec 14, 9:15am
The WOF is no different than any other WOF (for this particular vehicle), but only if stock. With re-power it will have to be certed (after VIN, but before certification).

mram, Dec 14, 9:24am
Has the front crossmember been cut or otherwise modified for radiator clearance! can cause issues these days. I thought that the declaration papers for the modifications died when the plates lapsed!

fish4funnz, Dec 14, 9:43am
the only mod that has been done is the engine transplant apart from that nothing has been modified.
the engine was fitted in the 1980s by my father who owned it up until i brought it last year.

mram, Dec 15, 9:16am
How do you get a holden six in a series 1 rover without cutting the front crossmember! has it got a crossflow radiator in in!

fish4funnz, Dec 15, 9:49am
dont ask me im not the one that fitted it. all I know is what ive been told.

suplyuparts, Dec 15, 10:15am
It cost $350+gst to get it re-vinnd.they strip down the car checking for sounds of rust or chassis damage.etc etc.if anything needs repairing,you have to 28 days to get it sorted an fix before you have to get it re-vinnd again and will need a engineer report to say its safe.The eninge shouldn't be a problem as long mounts,crossmember,chassis hasnt be played with an if its 20% increase in power.i.e.2.6L to a 3.5L.etc.

suplyuparts, Dec 15, 10:20am
oh.an its not VTNZ that does the re-vinning.a vehicle compliance place does them.

sandypheet, Dec 16, 3:58am
Ummm,yes they do.

hounddog2, Dec 16, 4:32am
Vinz in tainui st Palmerston north (dont know how to spell it ) do revins