PETROL. At present i use 91 octane in my car im told using a tankful of 9598 will clean up engine is this correct

toysky, Jun 29, 12:39am
At present I use 91 octane in my car I,m told using a tankful of 95/98 will clean up engine is this correct!

pandai, Jun 29, 12:40am
It will not clean up your engine.

However the engine may run much better and use less petrol.

It depends on the car in question though.

johnf_456, Jun 29, 12:40am
Well for us to answer that question we need to know what you drive! The correct fuel grade is determined by the car!

toysky, Jun 29, 1:01am
Its a mazda astina 1992 1800

gilligan2, Jun 29, 1:31am
Jesus christ! If its nz new 91 will be fine.

321mat, Jun 29, 1:57am
Hang on.does it increase Octane rating by one Number, OR one Point!

pollymay, Jun 29, 2:21am
toluene boosts octane, some guys used to run their car on it at the strip. Mixes with fuel and raises octane, prolly what's in those octane boosters anyway

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-requests-questions-tips/271419-how-boost-your-octane-using-various-formulas.html

Everything you need to know about making "magic octane boosters"

jasongroves, Jun 29, 2:45am
Minimum recommended is 95 RON.

c.knox, Jun 29, 6:03am
Isn't the octane the measure of the anti-knock compounds; how likely it is to self ignite under compression! So a high compression engine would need a higher octane fuel!

wrong2, Jun 29, 6:08am
the only things that should run on NZ's 91 are lawnmowers

95 is best - 98 suits some cars even better

jezz43, Jun 29, 7:37am
you should be running 95 minimum, my astina GT (same engine) was pre-igniting on 91 and making a pinging sound. changed fuels, problem sorted, also got slightly better mileage and it felt alot smoother to drive at higher rev range

pollymay, Aug 11, 12:18pm
More consistent cylinder temps, less knock. It makes no difference in something like a lawnmower or old V8 like I have but get something with high compression and a well designed chamber with the timing/cams/detonation on the edge then yes it will make a difference cause the knock sensor will cut timing reducing power, adding fuel to reduce knock.

I even had a model car that came out with a fuel selection switch for the ecu from factory on top of having knock sense. I'm not going to go get some fancy excel sheet or anything but I could go pull some maps off my ecu with the fuel and timing corrections for knock detection and show how the injectors open for a few more milliseconds per squirt or cut 5 degrees timing. Light load it may make no difference at all, heavy load you could be sacrificing power and possibly damaging the motor, at the extreme end of the scale here is one of my motors that was pushed too hard with old fuel.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/328FTW/Honda/004.jpg

So unless on top of knowing you have no detention at high end load or low lugging load like an automatic has up a hill then you really shouldn't use low octane. This is more a warning to those with flash motors that are not made for 91 who think what harm could it do!