Wanting to buy a small automatic for up to $10K.

Page 2 / 2
thejazzpianoma, Jun 19, 2:57am
Clearly you havn't driven many of these little automatics. The Demio for example is painful and gong to be a real shock to the system after the Audi, and there is absolutely no need for it. Why pay considerably more in fuel for a car that is so painfully slow.
The Fiat is no rocket ship but it can at least perform a passing manouver in safety and will cope with a hill.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 19, 2:59am
That it does, and should what you are looking at seem far to tinny then it would be a great option. Hang I would have one in a heart beat, I just thought we were going for extreme economy here. But since a bit of extra fuel is not an issue then why not run a Golf!
Scotty is bang on on the low service costs, the single cam basic design is a great one for cheap servicing.
Also, while I noted it does use more fuel than the Punto it is no worse than a Demio and you get comfort, features and performance for your money as well.

In light of what we have learned from the thread as it has gone on I think its a great option.

BTW, poster 1. Most MK4 Golfs do only have a 4 speed auto, however the larger low torque engine means it copes a lot better with it.

gilco2, Jun 19, 6:51am
These dont look too bad BUT looking at photo 4 I was wondering how anyone can sit in the back seat or is it an illusion that no room between front and rear seats. The old 80's Gemini's were bad, you couldnt sit in the back seat

mugenb20b, Jun 19, 7:23am
Kaz, I've almost given up trying to persuade people to buy Jap cars over Euro. I just can't keep up with Jazz's novels that he posts. I had a Punto in my workshop last Thursday, and honestly, I was not impressed at all. It seemed like it was cheaply made and lacking metal where all other cars didn't.

grangies, Jun 19, 7:31am
I haven't read all this thread, but. Eh!

Euro CLub! LOL.

Europe is close to, if not, the largest car/van/truck manufacturing continent there is.

It's hardly a ""club"".-
. It is a massive vehicle construction powerhouse.

There is MASSIVE competition in Europe between the differentmanufacturers to compete, on a world scale.

VAG ( Volkswagen Audi Group ) is bigger than Toyota.

grangies, Jun 19, 7:36am
There's plenty of room in there for children.

And if an adult can't fit in there for a while, then they are either very tall or too fat.

audi_s_ate, Jun 19, 9:05am
A 1.6 Corolla is hardly a benchmark, the 1.6 is the same design as the 1988 corolla 4af minus the fuel injection and the gearbox too a very similar tech.

Do yourself a favour and drive the newer shape 1.8's. As much as I respect what you say on these boards (I read a lot but hardly post) the punto routine is getting real old. I for one would not want one in my driveway if I was a student.
If the OP was a DIY mechanic who had time and the knowledge to source cheap parts etc then sure but not in this case!

theedge76, Jun 25, 10:43am
I have a 2003 Demio. Good little car, reasonably cheap to fill (and I find it reasonably fuel-efficient) - just be careful if you want to change the radio; on most of them, you simply can't. Be warned.

bmwnz, Jun 25, 9:20pm
OTOH, my wife bought a Getz new in 2005 and apart from the regular oil changes, it has cost her zero in maintenance. We've driven all over NZ in it and although at 1.3L its no rocket and isn't that keen on long hills, as you'd expect, its a nice car to drive and gets from A to B with no fuss. Its a very sturdy little car and frugal enough on petrol. She is not even slightly interested in high speed performance, she is however very interested in low running costs and the Getz has delivered that perfectly. FWIW, it was her car, her choice and I had no input, just as she doesn't interfere with my choices, but she made a good pick with the Getz. Before she bought it, she tried every similar new car below $20k for sale.

bmwnz, Jun 25, 9:46pm

bmwnz, Jun 25, 9:52pm
I bought a 2004 Tiburon 3 years agoand so far it has cost me (apart from regular oil changes)the sum total of 2 new tyres, I can only comment on what I've experienced myself and that is a totally reliable and for me, great car which I totally love the look of and thoroughly enjoy driving and owning.

bmwnz, Jun 25, 10:04pm
She's still on original tyres, but she did complain the other day about her wiper blades. LOL

slarty45, Jun 25, 10:40pm
Wonder if FIAT still uses that steel from Russia
with the inbuilt green gremlin
them high maintenance rubber bands don't sound too good either

bmwnz, Jun 25, 11:19pm
LOL. Everyone has their opinion and all are valid! They are simply opinions. :)

To be fair, you may be right about the fluids, since she had a 4 year free servicing deal with her car (dealer special promo) and I do recall reading that they changed all the ones you named at some point. However, that was all at no cost to her.

When I bought my Tibby, I had Hyundai do a full service, once again including all the fluids you mention before I bought it. However again - no cost to me.

If you check that UK link I posted, you will see they are rated at #6 for reliability, but that is meaningless if you've had a bad run. As we both say - our own experiences inform our own opinions.

I do however, take issue with your comment about us not taking proper care of our cars. We do.

bmwnz, Jun 25, 11:25pm
Thinking about what you've raised, Andy - I consider those items as std running costs of every car and don't even factor them in, because they're common to all car no matter what they are. Its just servicing. So I may have been too offhand in just posting 'oil changes' instead of 'std servicing'. OK! :)

doug207, Jun 26, 12:06am
I'd much rather run around in one of these. Much nicer to drive than a Punto, but, a bit heavier on gas. I'd live with the extra fuel cost to be driving a safer and more relaxed car. I'm not knocking the Punto, I've had a drive of a few and they're good wee car and go very well considering.but, they do seem to lack somewhat in build quality, understandable considering they are a cheap car (Corollas etc etc all lack in quality, flatmate has a 2010 model, 1.5CVT and it's a terrible, terrible car, disgusting to drive and not that great on gas)

ninja_man, Jun 26, 9:40am
10k for a car that looks like that! omg

bmwnz, Jul 29, 1:14pm
No offence taken, Andy. My fault for being too vague. :)