Mitsi VR4 ECU

wilgil, Jul 12, 12:04am
Hello all. I was helping my boy with his 2L V6 VR4 last night - it's been runiing a bit rough of late, often when going around a left hand corner. Anyways, he took out his ECU, and being the boys that we are, we opened it up to take a wee look. Funny old thing, two of the electrolytic capacitors had leaked over the PC board, nearly taking out some of the PC tracks and generally making a real mess of things. After much cleaning up, a bit of preventative track repair and the replacement of said electros, all was back together and going well. Time will tell if this was the fault. It was definitely going to become and issue soon. It annoyed me that one of the burst electros was only rated at 16VDC - considering it was sitting acroos a 12VDC line, I think that this is manuafacturer's penny pinching to the extreeme.

My boy grabbed the ECU out of his old toyota spare parts box (he used to own a Celica and collected stuff to fix it), and we were surprised to see that both ECU's had EXACTLY the same plug configuration (we're talking 30+ pins here). Is this normal! We are tempted to plug the toyota one into the mitsi out of curiosity, but you know what that did to the cat and all.
Inside the ECUs are completely different - the toyota one is also made WAY better.
Just thought some of you might be interested in my little late night garage story.