VT or VX Commodore which is better?

keeneas, Jun 20, 7:34am
Looking at upgrading my VS commodore to either a VT or VX what are the common faults that I should look for and which model is actually better!

jezz43, Jun 20, 7:36am
i own a VT, its just issue after issue. i wouldnt reccomend one.

neo_psy, Jun 20, 7:43am
I think VX has the added control link in the rear suspension (I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong - that might have been VY that got that).

Other than that, all things being equal (model, service history, etc), I'd tend towards VX cos it's newer.

redslapper, Jun 20, 9:06am
i own a vx, it not too bad, had a few probs with it, beautiful to drive thou. I would tend to go for the vz model. heard pretty good things about them

bloodthirsty, Jun 20, 10:24am
Hell commonwhores always have problems, check out the crew on-just commodores they good bunch & will help you out.

jarrod261, Jun 20, 10:55am
Bloody good forum.

I've got a 2001 VX-S.Nice car to drive,And pretty fuel efficient.
The VX seem a better car than the VT.But its up to you what you like and whats in your price range I guess.

glennalan, Jun 20, 9:36pm
VX2 goes very well and surprisingly economic on trips. Very comfy, quiet and BIG. Great for towing. 2 warning lights seem to be faulty intermittently. Window winder master switch seems to be a common prob and at $200 is still cheaper than some other brands.

vjregal770, Jun 20, 10:33pm
I've thought about a VX/VX2, but my old VS put me off. So I bought a Maxima, and sacrificed RWD dynamics for something that's built properly.

I wouldn't touch a VT - they were crap new.

vjregal770, Jun 20, 11:55pm
How's it apples and pears! Both have mediocre brakes, weak aircon, leaky boots and fragile interior trim (though at least the headliner doesn't fall off in a VX). The key fobs and ignition barrels are a known problem area too. Do you ditch all your cars "before the chain lets go"! Or just Maximas!

I've never heard of one letting go on either a Max or Commy. In any case, I never said I had a problem with Holdens mechanically (mine was great in that department), they're just sloppily made.

richardmayes, Jun 21, 1:37am
Make sure you drive a BA Falcon before you decide which Commonwhore you're going to buy!

321mat, Jun 21, 1:39am
The Commodore has improved significantly over the years since the "rust bucket" VL and the VN's build construction "tolerances" that were so approximate that you could almost get into the car without opening the door.

With every edition, the Coomodore has gotten better, albeit little by little.
And, while they still do not have the build quality of anything Japanese (but are still light years ahead of anything Korean), because of their "hay-barn" engineering, they tend to be quite easy to fix if and when something does go wrong.
And, they are still built better than a Falcon.

321mat, Jun 21, 1:40am
The VK and the VK 1/2 were the better Commodores to buy - at least in terms of build quality - until the VE came along.

Sad fact is, it took Holden 20-odd years to get their car assembly skills back on track again.

vtecintegra, Jun 21, 1:56am
There are far less Falcodores in rental fleets than there were a few years back.This is mostly due to a preference for smaller cars.

321mat, Jun 21, 2:04am
Even though my initial post focussed only on the Commodore, I would have to agree with you. Nissan Maximas are ghastly. poor build quality, wayward handling, and thirstier than a sponge.

vtecintegra, Jun 21, 2:07am
No it isn't.It related in any way.It doesn't even use the same family of engines or drive the same set of wheels.