Terrano's gearbox

fish_n_doodles, Jun 18, 5:04am
Are the MANUAL 92 model Terrano's gearbox as crap as the Auto or is the another gearbox that fits in !
Any info would be great.

fish_n_doodles, Jun 18, 5:18am
Was that in the manual!
I know the Auto go fast but im not sure with the manuals

mugenb20b, Jun 18, 5:35am
Yes, manuals are weak too. Usually the 5th gear packs up.

fish_n_doodles, Jun 18, 5:40am
do you know if any other gearboxes will fit!

mugenb20b, Jun 18, 5:45am
Not that I know of. Is your one stuffed!

fish_n_doodles, Jun 18, 5:49am
Im looking at getting a manual asi had the auto 1 a few years ago then the gearbox went but liked the car

mugenb20b, Jun 18, 5:59am
All I can suggest is to take it for a drive and see if the box is noisy, or if it's popping out of gear. The guys in my 4WD club who own Terranos seem to think the problems arise due to gearbox filler plug being placed too low. To rectify this "problem", they used to pull the gear lever out from the top and add another 750mls of oil. Their vehicles have done 300k (+/-) without gearbox issues. Whether that's a coincidence or not, I don't know. But if you do get one that's good, use good quality gearbox oil, change it once in a while, and go easy on gear changes. That's about all you can do to avoid problems to a certain degree.

spottie, Jun 18, 7:36am
Bearing are light in the box and the main gear cluster is keyed onto the main shaft. If you use large tyres or rock your wagon back and forth in the mud etc to get it unstuck you can shear off the key losing drive. I have rebuilt the auto in mine they suffer from lightweight planetry bearing , weak reverse clutch and a few other things I can't remember but the aftermarket bits put in will bring it up to a normal boxes lifespan or so the auto guy assures me.

beblowin, Jun 18, 7:41am
I drove my mates 1 home from getting a wof and it snaped the main shaft, there weak as hell

franc123, Jun 18, 7:55am
If memory serves many of those bearings in the manuals are sealed units, and therefore aren't lubed by the gearbox oil, they are only going to live so long.NZ motorists still can't grasp the concept that modern cars only have a life expectancy of 10 years of largely trouble free motoring at the outside, in the markets they are manufactured and sold in, it never occured to the manufacturers/engineers that someone would still want to drive these things 18-20 years down the track.As a general rule Jap light vehicle gearboxes are not designed to tow loads either.

electro2000, Jun 18, 10:08am
yep had mine rebuilt 8 years agonever had an issue since do a lot of towwing etcno problems 150k later

mattressnz, Jun 18, 7:51pm
I've got a 92 manual with 390k on it. Never had any gearbox issues at all (touch wood). However, if it did s*** itself, theres probably not much point in fixing what would be, at the most, a $2000 vehicle.

intrade, Jun 18, 8:36pm
you probably never towed anything. they all crap out when you do the above or tow heavy loads manual or auto even the pre 90s crapped there boxes. was a reason why i never got one like the way you sit in them but whats the point lol.
also other boxes if i recall cleavland box or what ever somone said in 2003 on here he fitted instead. but cantrecall right as 03 is a wee while ago now and i asume that was just rwd after.

mattressnz, Jun 18, 8:55pm
lol. I sell firewood, tow 3 cube at a time to deliver anywhere between Napier & Gisborne. Plus tow boat & bike trailer round the NI. Guess I've just been lucky.

lookoutas, Jun 28, 6:19pm
It's what frank sez - but a 10 year expectancy isn't exactly correct. They don't want them to last 10 years.

They could also make plastic cloths pegs that don't break, but i'll bet that never happens.