Yamaha YZF600

Page 2 / 3
shelleigh, Jun 9, 8:15am
Zetec a guy I went out with in my teens had an XJ - was the silver model with blue, a 550 I think. Will have a look at the FZ8.
Gunhand you will have to excuse my ignorance - what shop is MCR! Closest Yamaha dealers I can find in the yellow pages is Timaru.

gunhand, Jun 9, 8:23am
Motorcycle replacements ( MCR.) in Dunedin. On the one way Into Dunedin from the south. Just down from Mciver and Veitch (suzuki, harley). They are the Yamaha dealer. Good guys to deal with. The boss man is Rick. They get the latest models pretty quick to.Google MCR and you will find them as well.

shelleigh, Jun 9, 8:33am
Gunhand thank you for that. I will definitely have a look in there next time I'm in Dunedin which will probably be sometime in the next month.

gunhand, Jun 9, 8:36am
No probs, If theres a new lookingsilver ZX14 there it used to be mine.

gunhand, Jun 9, 8:47am
I just looked they still have a new XJ600 there.
http://www.mcr.co.nz/bikes/in_stock

shelleigh, Jun 9, 8:49am
Snap Gunhand I was just about to post this one -
http://www.mcr.co.nz/bikes/in_stock

gunhand, Jun 9, 8:50am
You found the 600!

shelleigh, Jun 9, 8:52am
For some reason that link isn't directly to the bike. But it's the orange one that is advertised as being maroon.

shelleigh, Jun 9, 8:53am
Yes it's a nice looking bike, am tempted to go down this weekend for a look :)

gunhand, Jun 9, 8:56am
Yep thats the one, orange. They had a red/maroon one for a while. Give Rick an email just to make sure as Im not sure how often they update the sight, but it looks pretty up to date in saying that.
Could be the quality of photo that makes it look orange maybe!

shelleigh, Jun 9, 9:01am
I won't be buying one until November/December so at the moment I'm just looking at what I like the look and sound of and getting helpful advice regarding what would be a good bike for me.

richard198, Jun 9, 11:25am
Have you considered vee twins like Suzuki sv650 or Ducati 750ss! Brilliant handling and capable of keeping up with bigger bikes if you don't mind leaning it over in the corners! That's where the fun is anyway. I used to ride a Moto Guzzi Spada SP1000 (amongst others) but am more than happy with my 750ss these days.

shelleigh, Jun 9, 11:04pm
Richard 600cc will be more than enough for me especially when I was looking at 400cc to start with.

fordfan62, Jun 10, 12:24am
Great to see ya getting back on 2 wheels.
I went back to the dark side 7 odd years ago,last bike/s had been trail types like you,then gave up for 20 odd years.
The good thing was my choice of weapon was a '86 GSX750ES for 2 odd years,nice and comfy,and had enough power,then nearly 3 yrs ago upgraded to my GSF1250,big changes in next 20yrs lol,tried a GSX650F and that was amazing handling wise,but dicided the 1250 a better option for me.
The main thing is right wrist is to be connected to brain.

shelleigh, Jun 10, 12:38am
Fordfan I totally agree about the right wrist being connected to the brain.
I'm a Ford fan too - first three cars were Fords :)

321mat, Jun 10, 12:42am
Good ln you mate.
I'm very pleased that there are still some decent minded motorcyclists out there who respect the road and the machinery they ride on it.
I wish you many happy miles, because I feel confident that you will be safe (cars NEVER see us) in your journeys ahead.

richard198, Jun 10, 12:45am
Forget about 400cc, I borrowed one once and it was dangerous! Every time I tried overtaking cars on the open road it ran out of puff and left me hanging out there without with no more acceleration!
Some of the 600cc you've been discussing have more power and top speed than my Ducati! (and much less than a Goldwing!)

shelleigh, Jun 10, 2:09am
321mat thank you :) I'm really excited about getting a road bike but at the same time very aware of being sensible about it especially when I haven't ridden for years and only for a short time on the Gold Wing.
Richard buggar running out of acceleration when passing - I'm definitely not a speed hog but like plenty of oomph when passing. And even more so when on a bike.

richard198, Jun 10, 5:47am
Yeah it's definitely a safety issue.don't want to be under powered.

gunhand, Jun 10, 6:30am
If your wanting to stay in that size area these are a few I reckon would do you well and be sporting enough for some fun.
Suzuki GSR750 15k new
GSR600
SV650 Gladius
GSX750F Katana
Kawaski ZR750
ER6F
Triumph TT600
And of course the FZ6 or XJ6

shelleigh, Jun 10, 6:59am
Kazbanz I have to wait until November/December as will have the money to buy one then. Just had a squiz at a GPZ and like the look of it. Another option to consider although I really like the YZF/FZ/XJ6

trogedon, Jun 10, 10:50am
Don??

guider1, Jun 10, 8:35pm
I agree with richard198. the smaller 250-400cc bikes are either gutless or need to have the nuts revved out of them to make them move.
shelleigh. I've owned a VF750, two R1's, a TL1000R & a GSXR1100. I hadnt ridden for 8yrs & stepped straight onto a VF750 for 1yr (heavy pig); 8yrs later onto a GSXR1100 then 1yr later bought my first new bike in '98. the R1. You learn pretty fast & i'm sure you'll be "in touch" with an R6 pretty quickly. I spent a fair bit of time at public days on the racetrack on the R1, moreso to figure out it's limitations. they're wicked to wheelstand.
I'm only 168cm tall (or short) & the R1 suited me perfectly. Just make sure you are happy with the riding position of the R6; I would imagine it's very similar to the R1 & on a long trip it can get a tad tiresome, & by long trip I mean 500km+.
I loved my R1, 16400km in 3 months of owning it! But after 3wks from buying it I took it back because I honestly thought it had lost power. I had just got used to it. I ended up fitting a full Arrow race system & geared it up for more top end. My 2nd R1 I spent alot of money on the motor at 13000km to get more power & fitted Nitrous Oxide. that one went REALLY well after that.
Anyway, buying a bike is all about YOU. no-one else has a say because you are the one riding it & how does anyone elso know what suits you!
Buy what you want otherwise you wont be happy. I had people telling me that the R1 had a horrible riding position blah blah blah. I was more than happy with it.
Good to see a woman looking at a Sportbike, especially an R6. I'm a bit biased on the YZF R series. love them & will be buying another newish R1 soon hopefully.

shelleigh, Jun 10, 10:34pm
Trogedon good quality gear is certainly a must have for me. I borrowed a set of leathers for the blat on the Gold Wing and there's just something about wearing leather I like lol
Guider that would be great being able to ride on a racetrack to get used to a new bike.I didn't mind the front wheel of my little 175 going up but when it comes to a road bike I like BOTH wheels on the ground at all time. I'm not sure that I will end up doing 500kms in one day but it will be interesting to sit on different bikes to see how the riding position feels. I'd definitely feel more comfortable and in control in a semi upright riding position rather than lying across the tank. But then when I have only ridden the one bigbike I really need to try a few out.
It's great being able to come on here and get much needed advice from everyone - I really appreciate it :)

fordfan62, Jun 10, 10:57pm
A lot of women can ride the sports type bikes for longer times due to the fact they have less weight around shoulders than men,hence crouch riding is less an issue.

The GPZ/ER500,EN650,GSX650 types have enough grunt,and have been with ladies on rides with these bikes,keeping up is no problem for them,in fact the Kwaka 650 is a damn nice bike,

Take your time is a good idea,a decent test ride(50km or more)will tell you if it fits,I can quite comfortably sit on a busa ok,but the zx1400 is way different feel to me.I was after a few Suzukis nearly 3yr ago to buy with Suzuzki fest,gsx650,gsf1250 and sv1000,went to a dealer and none avaialable to test,tried a 650 at another dealer,was ok,then another dealer had an as new bandit which I grabbed,the crazy thing was the dealer (suzuki)had on the floor an sv and bandit,had I been able to test,would've bought,the closest was taking one of 4 vtr1000,for a ride to get feel of the sv,no bloody good,the feel sitting on vtr wa way different than sv,and I had pillion to consider with the sv,so yep their loss.