Fighting an infringement notice any advice?

Page 1 / 2
mj.scott, Jun 13, 8:08pm
The said infringement notice should have been about a trailer but what it was written for has me concerned as to the officer's intelligence.
1) Birthdate was wrong on the ticket - not hard to copy a drivers licence is it!
2) the infringement was written out for the vehicle that was being driven ie rego make etc
3) No mention of trailer in question on entire ticket.
4) ticket was for no wof no reg on a motor vehicle but motor vehicle listed on the ticket was reg and wofed and displayed at the time.
Is the above grounds for a defense!
Also said trailer in question was wofed and regd but wasn't displayed at the time.

jerichord, Jun 13, 8:12pm
defend the charge, go to court, take with you all proof that the towing vehicle had current reg and warrent, seek costs from the police, also they may withdraw the charges when they realise their mistake, goodluck

mj.scott, Jun 13, 8:15pm
thanks first step will be a letter outlining their incompetence. Just wanted to know if i had grounds to fight it and win.

dr.doolittle, Jun 13, 8:34pm
So the police officer made a mistake & you question his/her intelligence, yet you failed to display your current reg & wof.
What does that say about your intelligence.

matthew111, Jun 13, 8:35pm
fight and win possibly but at the end of the day your vehicle was illegal and morally you are in the wrong. Why should we honest people subsidise your motoring!

dr.doolittle, Jun 13, 8:36pm
Go see them. Bash on their desk & shout all about how you're a tax payer, they're all thick & all that jazz & then tell us how you get on.

desmodave, Jun 13, 8:38pm
It says he is intelligent enough to make a choice if he wants to display it or not.

dr.doolittle, Jun 13, 8:40pm
! Smart choice!

mj.scott, Jun 13, 8:47pm
The rego for the trailer is attached to it by a board that was accidentally left at home and not realised until the destination was reached. Also it was not me who was driving or my vehicles in question but a friend of mines who i'm trying to get sum advice for.
No They will not be rude or go down and shout etc They will be writing in a letter not a rude one to outline the issues with the hope that the infringement people will wave it.
Yes it was not smart to forget the board that holds the trailers info but we are all human and we all make mistakes but $350 is alot for a silly mistake like that when compared to speeding, drink driving etc and it would be nice for the person who is getting the fine bet let off this once as they have never had a ticket or anything before ever and it was an honest mistake.

intrade, Jun 13, 9:30pm
let it go to court and just say it was not you as its not your birthday on the ticket etc etc its not your legal fiction on the ticket.

coolnzmum, Jun 13, 9:34pm
If the trailer was in fact was warranted and had a rego then you should be able to just provide proof of this at the local station.You could at the same time point out all the mistakes on the ticket.When I got pulled up for no WOF on trailer I was given a week to produce one.

johnf_456, Jun 13, 9:49pm
Did the board also contain your stop lamps and indicators etc!

intrade, Jun 13, 9:49pm
you should learn a bit about the free man on the land . you never fight them to start with. you write on a letter Notice to your Notice as title. as these things are just a notice to ask you basically if you want to engage in a onesided contract. so mutch i have learned from freeman on the land thingy. you got to be carfull what you tell them is another issue it seems not to accidently accept there invetation to pay for one.
google Freeman On The Land in Court tickets
turn on captation as instructed lol

cocabowla, Jun 13, 9:53pm
ever stop and think how many times a cop hears "oh i left it at home" as an excuse !

thejazzpianoma, Jun 13, 10:12pm
It dosn't matter how many times they hear it, if that's whats happened that's whats happened.

I get really angry at officers who use that as an excuse to roll their eyes and make snide noises when you tell them whats happening.

Everyone should be treated with respect.

mj.scott, Jun 13, 10:12pm
unsure as this was not my trailer and wasn't me getting the ticket. But seeing as it is not in the list of fines i would say no.

johnf_456, Jun 13, 10:14pm
Well if it does it is very dangerous has no light is a very big safety concern, if people don't know your turning or braking they could easily go up the back of you. As most boards contain the number plate, rego, wof sticker and lights all on one.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 13, 10:17pm
mj.scott,
If you are going to write in do it really quickly. The Police throw out any letters received in the last couple of weeks and say they didn't arrive in time. Once they have done that you can't get a court date or anything.
Its a nasty loophole they have set up and actively use.

Its time people demanded they play fair and use the "postal acceptance rule" like the IRD and other government departments use. They also need to provide at the bare minimum a physical address that mail can be couriered to so there is a record of delivery.

Its also clear that accepting submissions only by post is just another means of making it as hard as possible to challenge an infringement notice. If they are not going to provide any discretion at the roadside and make judgments with no evidence (which happens regually) its only fair that the submission process be fair and easy.

Its time we as citizens demanded fairness and respect of basic human dignity from the Police that WE fund. We should not have to jump through hoops just because some jumped up cop is too lazy to check basic facts or act in a fair and reasonable manner.

phillip.weston, Jun 13, 10:19pm
doesn't sound right, for the total fine to be $350. I thought it used to be $200 for no WOF and $200 for no reg, and $150 for a vehicle not up to WOF standards. Somehow I think he's been fined for something other than no wof/reg.

mj.scott, Jun 13, 10:20pm
Thanks to those who have provided useful advice it will be passed on.

rsr72, Jun 13, 10:21pm
#1 - Yep, they're charging you for something else entirely.
Defend on the basis the ticketed car was legal, and make no mention at all concerning any trailer- 'What trailer'!

mj.scott, Jun 13, 10:22pm
Nope the one for no wof is $150 perhaps that is another mistake on the ticket but it is definatly a fine for no wof

thejazzpianoma, Jun 13, 10:23pm
This has been amended recently. The amount charged is correct, only a very recent change though.

mj.scott, Jun 13, 10:24pm
Thanks - that was my thoughts in writing in on this. I think the letter should be written with pictures of the motor vehicle whose rego is written down which was clearly wof and rego'd.
And including a copy of the infringement.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 13, 10:25pm
Just make sure you read the post above and don't mention the $150 amount being wrong (it isn't), otherwise it will be a great excuse for them to use the old "ignorance of the law" rubbish back at you.