Fighting an infringement notice any advice?

Page 2 / 2
gedo1, Jun 13, 11:37pm
Clarification,please!Is the infringement for failing to display a current WOF!The fine for that is STILL $200 (just checked with a friendly Motorways officer nearby) although a change is being considered along with the failing to display current licence.Perhaps you could list the infringements written on the notice as they don't add up according to your description.

henderson_guy, Jun 14, 5:46am
FYI, car trailers are NOT required to display stop lights and indicators AS LONG AS the trailer is being towed during the hours of daylight, and the lights of the towing vehicle can be seen.

zoltec45, Jun 14, 5:48am
My advice would be dont bother asking in here, too many old giezers on horses!

johnf_456, Jun 14, 5:54am
Fyi : you know the ops friend did not have working tail lights BECAUSE! Even the op is not sure

henderson_guy, Jun 14, 6:00am
What does that have to do with it! You stated that trailers have to have lights as a safety concern, I stated they do not. Regardless as to whether or not the friend of the OP displayed lights on his trailer or not.

johnf_456, Jun 14, 6:04am
Well they are a safety concern but we dont know if it had lights and if the lights were visable, or the time ofday. Its not like you asked the time of day or if you can see the lights. Has my original.was asking the op if it had lights

Lights are an issue as if it was a lighting board for example that attaches to a boat like most do that would block the view of the car. Hence asking, but we didnt know.

saxman99, Jun 14, 7:42am
Do NOT write any kind of letter explaining anything.Simply request a court hearing and ask for full disclosure of the case against you.(They must provide this under the Official Info Act).

Go to court and present your defense, documents, etc whatever you have.Telling them beforehand what your defense is will allow them to prepare their argument against you and maybe even alter the charge so that it does stick.If they don't know what ammunition you are bringing they can't prepare their counterargument.

If they see you coming they will flay you alive, do not telegraph your next move.They are in a very strong position and you are in a very tenuous one.Make the most of any advantage you can grab.You'll need it.

Good Luck!

klrider, Jun 14, 8:36am
Including the officer

bubbles52, Jun 14, 9:00am
you were in the wrong, so why fight it

jerichord, Jun 14, 8:38pm
saxman you are write on the nail,

d.snell, Jun 14, 11:26pm
Quite simple. The Ticket is about the car, not the trailer. Photocopy the licence label off the car and send it in with a letter stating that there is a mistake as the car was always licenced and warranted. (NIA will confirm this as well as the warrant) and they must have the wrong vehicle. There is no case to answer.

meathead_timaru, Jun 15, 12:22am
He's not morally wrong. Nobody was harmed.

meathead_timaru, Jun 15, 12:25am
The OP made a mistake that anyone could easily make with a minor memory lapse. The cop however was standing right there and managed to completely cock up recording details that were right in front of him.

I think we can see who the fool is.

d.snell, Jun 15, 12:30am
Agreed. There is a big difference between "failing to display" tags and not having current tags. A quick roadside QVR check of the Trailer's rego plate would have confirmed it was up to date.
It's just plain revenue gathering by the officer concerned and he doesn't do anything to improve public perception of police attitudes by acting this way. In fact, he does more harm than good.

hutchk, Jun 15, 5:31am
Trademe is always the best place to ask for legal advice.

crzyhrse, Jun 15, 5:40am
I don't see anywhere that he says the plate was on the trailer though.

klrider, Jun 15, 6:59am
If that is the case then the infringment notice may be correct, it is the driver of the vehicle that has committed the offence and if no rego for the trailer then they would take the rego for the vehicle as the person who commited the offence. So the driver was driving vehicle X towing a trailer that had no wof or reg.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 15, 7:50am
I always treat the Police with respect and give each one the benefit of the doubt. Yet several times I have had stupid faces pulled at me, rolled eyes and have been accused of telling lies.
I am not a boy racer, I have been driving stock standard 1000cc and 1300cc cars at the time. Not that any of that should matter because EVERYONE should be treated the same regardless of the color of their skin, what they are driving etc.
Why are we just falling over ourselves to be treated badly by a government department that WE fund!

gedo1, Jun 15, 8:26am
Hey Jazz.You're an interesting person and quite erudite and, as you know, I admire your stand on Euro vehicles.but how come you get pulled over so often and checked for nit picking stuff!Last time I got pulled over was more than 15 years ago and that was only to search my car for an escaped prisoner down near Turangi.!.I've never even been stopped at a Booze checkpoint.Thinking that perhaps you are all right that the cops are biased as I am clearly being missed out here on my share of cop stops.Not fair! not fair!

gedo1, Jun 15, 8:27am
Might be the cars I drive perhaps!

kiwidude06, Jun 15, 8:38am
i had the same situation last year when i went and seen the police they said they would look into it two days later the ticket was cancelled and a new one issued for the correct info so good luck

klrider, Jun 15, 7:42pm
Wonder why you get pulled over so much, maybe the rolled eyes is code for 'not you again'.

saxman99, Jun 15, 9:59pm
I hate it when the cop approaches the window and says "Good evening sir.Oh, Hi Scott."

Dammit.

elect70, Jun 18, 4:41pm
Go to police station with all your proof& talkcamlly tothe ocifer , pointing out the plods errors , should be dropped .