Toyota Nadias/Renaults Scenics? gd? bad pros/cons?

bettylee, Jun 9, 10:45am
. Shopping use to be fun, not anymore - I've been looking for months, online - and walking around car yards clueless. I really like the Renault Scenic, the comfort,the space - however the mixed bag of reviews online just left me confused. I've come to the conclusion that, the Scenics are a hit & miss kinda of car due to some faulty electrical installations by their manufacturers. I like the Nadia too same aesthetics as the Scenic, boot space smaller though - The dilemma, Toyota are more reliable right!. so what to do, i could be cheap and get a Renault, but then it could cost me more in the long run if turns out to be a lemon , or i could spend a little more than i would like to and get a Nadia - took a 98 Nadia for a test drive today, felt kinda heavy to maneuver! maybe it was just that one, will have to test drive a few more. what to do, what to do . euro car vs a Jap car. help from mechanics/owners please.

vtecintegra, Jun 9, 10:54am
The Toyota is a more powerful, bigger and roomier car especially in the passenger compartment.

The Scenic is more like a Corolla Spacio (slightly bigger)

supernova2, Jun 9, 12:41pm
I'd take the Renault every time however in NZ the Toyota is the best bet as Renault is seen by many as an "odd bod" and the chances of finding an good garage to service it is pretty hard.Also 2nd hand parts are non existant for Renault in this country.

fiatracer, Jun 9, 9:55pm
my parents are on their second Scenic and love them, and I guess it's a decent drive [2 litre 16v] but reliability hasn't been great. Auto trans failures seem to be common - their first one failed.2nd one needed a rear qtr panel after someone backed into it - this was sourced fine in NZ but i guess there's a few in breakers' yards [with failed trans I bet]

bettylee, Jun 10, 10:44am
so does anyone out there own a nadia who has any pros and cons to share!

bettylee, Jun 10, 10:48am
thanks, i love the body on the scenic, it's just ashame about their reliability issues, i guess i better give up that idea of purchasing a scenic. onto the Nadias. anyone got anything good to say about them!

vtecintegra, Jun 10, 10:52am
You may want to avoid the direct injection models, or at the very least do some research on them.

They have the 3S-FSE engine and should be badged D4.Also avoid 4wd if you don't need it.

bettylee, Jun 10, 10:56am
Yes, I did come across the D4 engine thing online, I thought that was only in th newer models. 2002 on! - only have one baby to cart around, just wanted something with height so that it would be easy to put her in her car seat, low cars are bad for ones back!

vtecintegra, Jun 10, 11:19am
The older ones can be D4 too.

supernova2, Jun 11, 4:44am
Bettylee as you in aucks maybe the Renault isint such a problem.When i had my renaults (17 of em!) I used to get my bits from a guy up there.Think he sold out to reno parts in glenfield.See if they are still there and go see them.Cheers Don

bettylee, Jun 13, 12:56pm
so i purchased my nadia, and i asked dealer if it had a D4 engine, because if it did, then I don't want it, he said he didn't know, and lifted up the engine thing, and said, it doesn't , and i looked, and didn't see the words D4 etched onto the plastic covering (like it said online, that if it was, it would be printed on the plastic cover on the engine) - so i paid for it and came home. 2days old now, i noticed a clear sticker on the back of the hatch with D4 on it, heart just sank. I looked under the bonet again, still not sure if it is. If this turns out to be a D4 do you think I could take it back! goodness. waiting for monday to come , and I'll take it up the road to a mechanic to ask him if it is or isn't. there is a green "econo" light that comes on, i'm guessing this is economy fuel consumption light. i hope it's not a D4, but funny feeling it is - feel a bit sick thinking about it .

rovercitroen, Jun 13, 7:23pm
So the dealer lifted the bonnet, had a look, and said "No, not D4"! Take it to a Toyota workshop and get a correct opinion. If it is a D4 I would think you are entitled to get your money back because the dealer has, maybe unintentionally, mislead you.

bettylee, Jun 13, 11:16pm
yes it's the dreaded D4 just got bk from toyota dealer . ugghhhh, took me 6months to find one.guttered.

gammelvind, Jun 14, 8:49am
Bettylee, we have a 98 Nadia and love it, tremendous space especially in the rear seats. It has proved reliable and economical, it does have the D-4 engine which so far hasn't proved to be an issue.
Downsides. Handling on windy roads only average, performance only average.
Upsides. Interior space, good fuel consumption. High seats for those of us who's knees are getting a little tired. Lol.

grannypam, Jun 14, 9:01am
We have a 99 Nadia which is a D4.

Now after reading this thread IO am wondering what the problem with the D4 is. can someone possibly enlighten me and then i'll tell you about our Nadia.lol

thejazzpianoma, Jun 14, 9:17am
Yes take it back. You are quite within your rights to do so.

Also, why not give a Scenic a go. I don't know a lot about them but I do know most of the "reliability issues" when it comes to anything European are massively hyper-inflated in NZ.

When you can buy a tidy Scenic from $2500 and could sell it for $1000 with a major failure in the worst case scenario I don't see the risk.

The limited experience I have had with Renault's of that era is they are actually pretty good reliability wise so long as you do the servicing (Particually the cambelt) when due. Likewise doinga bit of research ahead of time with regard to a suitable mechanic and where to source parts will likely ensure you pay little more than the Toyota in maintenance.

Incidentally, I would be tempted to try a Diesel Scenic, they should go really well with the 1.9 Common Rail Diesel and be excellent on fuel. There are not a huge number of them in NZ but I do see them for sale from time to time. There is one for sale on TM at the moment.

Failing that ditch them both and get a VW Touran, then you get the best of everything, reliability, performance, economy, safety and features. The insane thing is they have been selling lately on here for under 10K which is just absurdly cheap. Considering they are just a MK5 VW Golf under the skin and you pay half as much again for the Golf (which is still cheap) they are phenomenal buying. They absolutely run rings around the Toyota in pretty much every way.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 12, 12:09pm
BTW, if you take it back don't feel pressured into buying something else off the dealers lot. Either that dealer was deliberately misleading you or they were incompetent. Either way I would not suggest you continue to deal with them.

The law is crystal clear on this, you were not provided with what you asked for and were mislead. You have every right to get a full refund.