Vs ss commodore t5 gearbox

matt1710, Jun 10, 8:42am
can someone please tell me diference between a commodore v6 & v8 t5 gearbox will a v6 fit a v8 cheers

guider1, Jun 10, 8:55am
It will but it wont. The V8 bellhousing pattern is different to the V6 pattern. If you buy a V8 bellhousing from Castlemaine Rodshop (Google) in Aussie you can make it fit, but you still need to shorten the V6 input shaft by 26mm. It gets shortened in the same way an axle does. cut & welded. I've seen quite a few done & hav'nt seen one snap, but they have all been done by the same person.

matt1710, Jun 10, 7:38pm
cheers i have a vs ss manual so already have v8 bellhousing just not easy finding v8 gearbox seems to be a few v6 ones around ah so might look at gettin v6 one so yeah cheers for that

guider1, Jun 10, 8:10pm
There is also a slight difference in 1st & 2nd gear ratios (from memory) but it's to your advantage anyway when putting the V6 box behind a V8.
Anyone who shortens axles down there should be well capable of shortening the input shaft for you.

guider1, Jun 10, 8:11pm
Have you blown 2nd gear out of the V8 T5!.

matt1710, Jun 11, 7:06am
not sure which is which to be honest but input shaft teeth are completely gone and same with teeth directly under it on cluster gears, was a mean skid though so she didn't die in vain just with a bang lol

guider1, Jun 11, 8:06am
Yep. it died a great death! I had a V8 T5 behind my 310ci Group A motor & sold the g/box BEFORE it exploded; lol. They arent that strong.

guider1, Jun 11, 8:42am
Best oil to run in them is Castrol VMX.

matt1710, Jun 1, 2:17am
i take that is a dexron 3 grade atf