Nothing like a recession for lowering road toll.

Page 1 / 2
rob_man, Jun 8, 4:28am
Eh!

wrong2, Jun 8, 4:32am
well that & crappy weather all weekend

cant have been the "increased" police presence hahahah

gunhand, Jun 8, 4:38am
Yes, Its very good that no one was killed on the roads but also annoying that no one was as now they will say it was the 104 limit that did it. Well I for one dont go near as far as I did before fuel got a bit expensive. we used to go on day trips with the kidsquite often but by the time you take fuel, food and possable entertainment you dont get much change out of $150, and thats a cheap outing.
and Im still waiting on the "I got pinged at 104" thread after much noise about how we will all get caught due to speedos being out etc.

rob_man, Jun 8, 4:47am
That was my reaction too Gunhand, they aren't jumping on it as quickly as I thought they would though. I expect to be hearing a lot of "told you so's" from LTSA.

elvis58, Jun 8, 5:28am
As so many people on here point out, the ltsa and policel never let the facts get in the way of a good story!

johnf_456, Jun 8, 5:54am
Economy wise NZ is a lot better off now and slower picking up than what it was, so I doubt this is the case. The worse of this rescission is long gone and on some news articles I read its actually picking up before the feb chch quake.

elvis58, Jun 8, 6:01am
Families aren't better off, the recession being over is a load of media crap. Everyday more jobs gone, more families doing it hard. The roads are much quieter, no doubt.

johnf_456, Jun 8, 6:05am
I dis agree the stats so otherwise and even the job market has changed with more jobs been offered. Yes it takes time to make a dent on everyone but the worst of it is over and it is not getting worst, their is even signs chch is picking up slowly. Proof please but my gut feeling is it is getting better slowly.

gunhand, Jun 8, 6:08am
Rates going up
Food going up
Milk going up (although on hold at mo)
Fuel going up and down and up
regos going up
Rent prices going up
power going up
Charge out rates
GST going up
Fines going up
insurance going up (just waiting for that one)
All these things and more have gone up in the last few years quite abit and no doubt will continue to rise
Wages going up to match.ummm nup.Yea, we are in great shape.

rob_man, Jun 8, 6:56am
John's obviously doing OK. I on the other hand, due to the factors outlined by gunhand ^^^^^, find a certain reluctance to casually take off on any kind of road trip.

elvis58, Jun 8, 6:59am
Mate if you can't see it, i wouldn't bother. I have many friends in Chistchurch, none of them are any better off, most are comuting much bigger distances from their "now" rented homes and still paying mortgages on homes they cant live in. Some still haven't even had visits from those that matter. The media tell you what they want you to hear. Go have a look!

johnf_456, Jun 8, 7:01am
Yeah times are tough but does not always mean its a true rescission, go research the great depression. If you have a job and a roof over you're head you are doing well compared to some. Once again johnf_456, their is many members called that here as well including crzyhrse.

rob_man, Jun 8, 7:02am
OK John.

johnf_456, Jun 8, 7:03am
Chch economic stats do show chch is picking up slow, but really can you expect a booming economy after a rescission. The peak of the rescission was last year and funny enough the road toll was still higher. Just go look at the job market, their is more job listings and thats a sign.

rob_man, Jun 8, 7:07am
What's for tea tonight Dear! Oh, I thought we'd have stats on toast.
Ooooh yum! my favourite.

rob_man, Jun 8, 7:09am
Fill 'er up sir! will that be diesel, 91 or 98!. Oh it's one of those new stat driven models . Very nice. How many stats per hundred Ks!

planespotterhvn, Jun 8, 10:13am
NZ wide 375 accidents over the three day weekend tho. I hope no one was too badly injured.
There may be a Zero road toll but what about the permanent disbilities and disfigurements! The authorities forget about them!
Perhaps the lower death toll means more cars with Airbags and well designed crash absorbing structures and seatbelts that don't stretch too far.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 8, 11:08pm
Realistically it won't likely happen from this weekend, what I have noticed in Tauranga is everyone can be "Hyper alert" for a couple of days but its been the precedent set that has bought in the permanent low tolerance that has done the damage.

Realistically too, even though I used speedometer tolerances etc as a quantifiable demonstration on how you could get caught unknowingly. In reality from people I have talked to, mostly its letting the car creep up to 55km/h accidentally on a small down hill in town that is getting the tickets.

moosie_21, Jun 8, 11:18pm
If there is one thing I have learnt throughout life, there is NEVER one single reason for an event occurring. Everyone looks to blame/use one single event, such as reducing the tolerance as is the case here, as a carryall for the developments which then occur. Its simple human psychology; people are usually too lazy to look at the the entire picture and haven't been taught to incorporate all factors. Some of the people on this MB are, fortunately, smart enough to realise that and will not believe the Police PR propaganda. Don't become one of the gullible and less developed that this smuck intends to incorporate. Most people think freely here, that's why I stick around! Good on ya.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 8, 11:24pm
Your on to it moosie, actually you bet me to a very similar post I was writing!

I just can't believe journalism has slipped so low as to tout this manipulated junk science as fact.

Classic one the other night was "It can't be the recession because while there was a decrease we still had fatalities in 1976 when fuel was expensive and there were less cars on the road then"

Ummmmm have you considered the safety improvements made to cars in that time!

What about the state of the roads!, I don't seem to recall all the reflective markers, signs and street lighting being around that we have now let alone the state of the road itself!

I love how the Police never mention the safety improvements made to vehicles, you have to remember that its only now that we are getting good numbers of cars with proper modern safety advances on our roads. With our average age of vehicle in NZ we run a good decade behind technology.

Even with no change in Police roading strategy we would surely expect a significant decrease in the number of fatalities and accidents over the last 10 years based on the "safety revolution" of the late 90's early 00's.

But nah. well just ignore that and accredit it to the long arm of the IRD.

jrlaw, Jun 9, 12:56am
Good drivers out there in the last weekend probably helped. wide open eyes in case a Police car pulled up behind you or me.See! we can do it if we try.

crzyhrse, Jun 9, 2:50am
Yes, the temporary hyper alert status is what would have a much greater effect than the simply lowering of any speed tolerance. But as we know, the effect won't last. They'll go back to being the same dozy unalert drivers they were taught to be by their parents.

kevin_the_kiwi, Jun 9, 3:08am
Yip this is what happened in Sweden when they changed to driving on the right side of the road, the road toll decreased-temporarily.

elect70, Jun 9, 3:14am
planespotterhvn wrote:
NZ wide 375 accidents over the three day weekend tho. I hope no one was too badly injured.
There may be a Zero road toll but what about the permanent disbilities and disfigurements! The authorities forget about them!
Perhaps the lower death toll means more cars with Airbags and well designed crash absorbing structures and seatbelts that don't stretch too far.[/quote You cant say things like that ,powers that be will never admit to anything as logical as that. Theloweringroad toll isdue only to the police 's speed policy

petermcg, Jun 9, 4:26am
Nothing like a recession for lowering road toll.
I agree totally with this statement, and it is a good thing, I am bloody sure that the adds dont make a scrap of difference.