Shortening strut inserts on a VN Commodore.

hatchback, Jun 4, 10:04am
in the wellington area, who would do this. I want to drop my VN Commie wagon by about 40mm. I can take the inserts out to get them done. TIA

wellabolla, Jun 4, 10:07am
why do you want to shortn the insert for a 40mm drop!
will springs or droppd spindles no work for you
!

attitudedesignz, Jun 4, 10:37am
Just buy some new shortened struts. I got some shortened Monroes for the front of my VR ute, along with super low springs the front is sitting right where i want it.

bellas, Jun 6, 8:11am
suspensiontech can shorten and supply shocks if requiered

hatchback, Jun 6, 8:30am
Cheers for the info guys, my VN front shocks are in good nick. With a 40mm drop maybe I wont need to shorten them. I did discover the other day on my lowered VH wagon project that commie sedan rear shocks are about 40mm shorter and keep the low rear springs captive.

guider1, Jun 6, 11:36am
It'll bounce around like a pig. 90% of the aftermarket springs are far too stiff for a standard shock to control them.
My ex's VT wagon was a nice car until she had it dropped by Mag & Turbo. what a POS to ride in afterwards. I dropped my VR wagon on lows & fitted brandnew struts/shocks all round. it's also a pig to ride in now because the shocks cant control the rebound. My VP has custom springs which are super hard (1000lb fronts, 450lb rears) but I have race-valved adjustable Konis & they can control the springs. There's only 1 way to do it & that's properly by spending money, hence why I have ordered Konis for my VR wagon as well.

hatchback, Jun 6, 7:22pm
Thanks guider1 for that info but I have driven my project VH with the aftermarket springs and yes it does ride harder than standard but it handles and steers like a dream. I have transfered a complete V6/manual, Xmember, steering and struts over from a lowered VN and it all works better than I antisipated. Maybe the struts have aftermarket shocks in them, I must check.

guider1, May 15, 12:17am
If you can, go with a progressive spring; they ride much nicer & you "usually" dont have the need to shorten the shock as they stay captive.