Tool question

Page 2 / 2
mrfxit, Jun 3, 8:20pm
You are an "apprentice" . right
you need cheap but effective tools.
You WILL loose some/ break others as you learn whats good for YOU & whats good for your job.
I prefer Snapon & Walter tools but they aren't cheap but are great.
Walter are strong but light & thin, better suited to small hands.
Snapon/ Sidchrome/ Powerbuilt tend to be fairly strong but a bit bulkier then Walter tools, better suited for bigger hands.

Some of the cheapist brands will do very well but DON'T skimp $$ on the extentions/ ratchets & flexi joints.
Theres a very basic set of sockets you WILL use a lot, spend the $$ on those, cheap for the rest.
Have a cheap set/part set hanging around for modding, thats another "given" situation that WILL happen where you will need to modify a socket for something really odd.

Theres about 20 different brands in my tool kits (engine recon/general mechanical/ panel beating etc) & each & every piece "feels right" & does the job how I need them to.

guider1, Jun 3, 9:12pm
Well said ^^^^

johnf_456, Jun 3, 9:41pm
^^^

jsbike, Jun 4, 4:51am
In the past I used fuller pro, never broke anything but did lose almost all of it! Now im not so bad at losing tools, I have a large bahco 1/4" and 1/2" socket set (also with impact sockets, ring open enders, screwdriver tips), as well as a seperate bahco 3/8 socket set that just has sockets. I do find i use the smaller set more often, esp since it has a couple of sockets for spark plugs. Someone above said get a decent impact driver, i couln't agree more. Koken do a decent one though they call it an Attack Driver, mines be great for getting things like flywheel bolts off seeing it will fit the 1/2 sockets

grangies, Jun 4, 5:00am
When I was an apprentice, my mate bought a second hand, 5 ft high, Stahlwille tool cabinet on wheels.

It was in such mint condition, that he refused to bring it to work, and put it in his bedroom as a clothing drawer instead. Hehe.

antwerp87, Jun 4, 5:00am
I started my apprenteship off with Kincrome. It did the job for the start but moved onto a full snap on set later on down the track. Kinda Miss my old blue box hehe

pedro.b, Jun 4, 5:47am
I wouldn't get powerbuilt either, I don't think they are all they are cracked up to be personally. I've got a 1/2" socket set and a few other bits and pieces made by powerbuild, to me they just don't have a great feel, I've broken a ratchet and a swizel, plus my sockets are terrible to see the sizes when they are dirty. I have a Fuller set with also has a lifetime warranty which runs circles on the Powerbuilt one.

lookoutas, May 3, 5:11pm
I quite like Koken for the price, and the fact that they have a relatively soft ratchet.
There's nothing worse than a tight ratchet that reverses what you've just done, or are trying to do in a tight place. I have a Powerbuilt ratchet that does just that, so it only comes out for brutal work. And I would not hesitate to smack something with it.
I always look for a ratchet with a toggle change - much easier to flip a switch than try'n turn a knob when you're upside-down-inside-out, with room for one hand.
Sockets! You just need some long-reach to go with whatever set you have.
Panelbeaters don't need a 1/2" drive, your workshop should have a set for everyone to use. Well we have. But you need 3/8 & 1/4 in metric, and because you're destined to become a classic nut, (I hope) you might need some 3/8 imperial sockets.
I recently picked up a Stanley ratchet in Supercheap - this thing has a very light mechanism and keeps ratcheting when the handle is twisted. Hence it has to be quite bulky, and it does have an annoying twist change. Even so, it's now the first ratchet off the rank in 99% of times. I don't hold out for it lasting forever, but it's so bloody handy it will be replaced straight after it hits the bin.

You will find a set of flat ratchets will become one of the first go-to tools when it comes to removal & fitting of doors. And be prepared to replace the 12 every 3 or 4 years.

Hammers! Because I learnt the 'old school' methods, there is no hammer other than a Snap-on. My workmates have hammers which I refer to as sledge-hammers, and remind them that the handles in my hammers are worth more than their hammers.
I guess if one doesn't know the difference it doesn't matter, but I often see those sledge-hammers being used for purposes that causes me to remind them that I'd better not see them using one of my hammers to do that.