Chemicals for flushing out old oil

Page 1 / 2
tighty3, Jun 2, 2:17am
If the engine has sludge in the sump remove the sump and clean the sump and oilpickup gauze . Anything in a can is going to soften the muck and block the oil pump pickup or pump the muck and block the filter, or pump the muck through the bearings = new engine . In other words if it isn't broke don't fix

johnf_456, Jun 2, 2:53am
My advice is use nothing go to the warehouse get some cheap oil I got some for 18 bucks for four litres. A great price for flushing, then take the car for a nice long hot run then dump it again and then put the good stuff in.

jsbike, Jun 2, 3:22am
+1 john. Gunk stuck to the inside of your engine is far better than gunk getting knocked off and blocking oil pick ups and oil drains. Just do as john said.

johnf_456, Jun 2, 3:30am
Yupand in the latest supercheap catalog valvoline all climate oil is 16.95 at 15% off. Even better, even change it a few times if its bad over a week.

rovercitroen, Jun 2, 4:12am
Another option is to use diesel engine oil for a couple of cycles. Change it every couple of thousand kms 2 or 3 times. Diesel oil has higher detergent properties and will gently clean up your engine. Most diesel engine oils also have a petrol rating anyway so can be used in either petrol or diesel engines.

les6, Jun 2, 5:06am
my old man did that years ago with an old vauxhall,was given the diesel oil by mistake and put it in the old girl,cleaned it out alright,started blowing smoke and burning oil like you would not believe!

toxicgreen., Jun 2, 6:11am
Exactly right i,d just do a stait oil change and another oil change in 3000k, dont want to dislodge gummy gunk ah/blocks oil ways. Oil flush treatments are a prank.!

chris_051, Jun 2, 9:33am
+1 diesel engine oil that is also rated for SI engines, other wise drain some of the oil and dilute it with diesel (30% worth) and let it idle for 30mins-1hr. Or you could fill it up with ATF and also let it idle for the same amount of time. CHange filter and flush with cheap mineral oil then youre set.

brodie64, Jun 2, 9:55am
A trick I was schooled to a while back and have done it myself and seems to work well. First, pour about 300ml of diesel in with the engine oil and run the engine at idle for a couple of mins. This will thin the oil and help it drain better. Then, one you have drained the oil, you can pour petrol in and let it run through the engine (do not start the engine). Let it drain well, then you can pour a bit of oil through the engine to displace any left over petrol, then replace sump plug and fill with fresh oil. I do it on my motor bike evry 2nd or 3rd oil change and never had a problem.

NZTools, Jun 2, 10:09am
Ever seen a sump and rocker cover removed by the force of the explosion when the left over fuel vapour ignites!

Not pretty

johnf_456, Jun 2, 10:14am
brodie64 I certainly would not recommend putting petrol through an engine, has I said earlier just use cheap oil then flush a bit later on or a diesal mix.

mrfxit, Jun 2, 10:25am
Over theyears, I have regularly used a 50/50 mix of new basic 30/40 grade oil & diesel mix for a flush.
let the engine idle till warm & then a few random very mild blips on the throttle,
Let it sit turned off for a few minutes & then drain / replace with new oil & filter.
Never had a problem yet.

singing1, Jun 2, 12:08pm
How can you know its clean unless you drop the sump and clean it properly.sure your oil flushing mixture may clean a bit of it out but there is only one way to do it properly. Take the sump off!

m16d, Jun 2, 6:15pm
Diesel and kerosine are fuel oils. they have no lubricating properties at all
Never put then in your engine.

mrfxit, Jun 2, 9:56pm
Well DUH .
Yes diesel DOES lubricate a bit. just not much
MAYBE , thats why we MIX std oil with it.!

Kero is often used as a light grade cutting oil, so NO, don;t use kero (not even mixed) unless you're about to rebuild the motor

mrfxit, Jun 2, 9:57pm
CLEANER. then a simple oil change.
Don't want to shift too much of the built up muck in each flush . AYE

moosie_21, Jun 2, 10:40pm
Seafoam always worked for me. Put it in the oil and fuel about 500 km's from an oil change, let it run through the system for that tank of gas then change the oil. Great stuff!

crzyhrse, Jun 2, 11:16pm
People that OCD obsess over a little sludge, which is more often than not entirely in their mind, usually end up doing more harm than good.
And certainly not diesel anywhere near a wet clutch as found on most bikes. *facepalm*
The only way you're not going to notice that is if you ride like a complete pussy.

johnf_456, Jun 2, 11:18pm
Just for the reference thats diesal mix oil not diesel fuel by itself, not diesel as in the fuel the oil. In relation to cars not bikes as the Op has a car not a wet clutch bike!

diesel mix = diesel oil + petrol oil

Which is why I just use cheap oil generally for flushing when its 18 bucks for 4 litres you can't go wrong.

mrfxit, Jun 2, 11:18pm
Most of this conversation is about flushing CAR engines, but yes your point about motorbikes is correct for most models

mrfxit, Jun 2, 11:19pm
NO mix containing diesel for ANY engine/gearbox that uses a wet clutch system

johnf_456, Jun 2, 11:20pm
I am not talking about wet clutches, I am talking about cars in relation to what the op is talking about. But yes wet clutches is a totally different scenario and not revelant has the OP has a car not a bike.

mrfxit, Jun 2, 11:24pm
LOL, neither was I before but "HE" ^ ^ brought up the subject

crzyhrse, Jun 3, 5:15am
You weren't replying to the OP. You were replying to brodie64 who was talking about bikes.

mrfxit, Jun 3, 5:26am
LMFAO . BITE ME

(concise enough)