Chemicals for flushing out old oil

Page 2 / 2
mrfxit, Jun 3, 5:27am
Nothing wrong with wanting a clean engine IF that engine is well worth the hassle of cleaning it in that manner ;-)

johnf_456, Jun 3, 5:29am
Either way I will not put diesel (fuel) through a bike with a wet clutch.

crzyhrse, Jun 3, 6:02am
Yep. You're upset because you've been outed as not paying sufficient attention to the particular discussion to which I was replying.

Thank you. Please come again.

crzyhrse, Jun 3, 6:02am
I wouldn't put it in any engine sump and run it.

mrfxit, Jun 3, 6:06am
LOL . WTF

mrfxit, Jun 3, 6:08am
Mmmmm thought I had already given what he asked for .

cuda.340, Jun 3, 6:09am
when a friend bought a 440 motorhome engine we pulled a rocker cover the the oil gunk looked like mud all around the rockers & under the cover. so we drained all the remaining oil & poured in 4 litres of straight diesel. since most American V8's can manually prime the oil pump, we did just that for 1/2 hr, taking turns to hold the drill while it pumped the diesel. after this we drained the fluid & it looked like diff oil that came out. when we pulled the rocker cover again it was surprising how much gunk had been moved. we ended up pulling the pan & other cover to clean off the remaining mud & gave all the exposed parts a blast with more diesel in the spray pot. after it was put back together & the engine installed in the Valiant, it was the el cheapo oil for the first week & decent oil after that. this was 5-6 years ago & to date we've never had the engine apart but we have looked under the covers occassionally & it looks pretty blimin clean these days. gawd only knows what the yanks do to allow things to get this bad.

johnf_456, Jun 3, 6:21am
Correct but since you are harping on about bikes thats why I said bikes, then when I say something else thats wrong as well for mentioning cars

johnf_456, Jun 3, 6:21am
What the

crzyhrse, Jun 3, 6:31am
English your 8th language!

crzyhrse, Jun 3, 6:31am
Brodie64 said bikes.

Do try and keep up.

crzyhrse, Jun 3, 6:32am
Perhaps you're 'been' facetious.

johnf_456, Jun 3, 6:53am
Its called slang / everyday speech. Also better use of that question would be "Is English your 8th language". Oh and yes I am very serious / facetious.

mrfxit, Jun 3, 9:18pm
Diesel DOES NOT .have a highly explosive vapour . it's a very light OIL.

Diesels run happily on VEGETABLE OIL/ old cleaned ENGINE OIL . in fact pretty much ANY old cleaned OIL . but WON'T run on PETROL.

Diesels ignite the OIL by COMPRESSION ONLY
Petrol engines ignite the petrol by SPARK PLUG

Run a petrol motor on straight diesel & it will only STALL the engine.
Run a diesel motor on straight petrol & it will DESTROY the engine

SO . which fuel is more "highly explosive"

Now. where were we before we got so rudely interrupted by miss-information

cuda.340, Jun 3, 9:45pm
thanks for informing andy563 for us fixit. if it was a highly explosive vapour fuel i definately wouldn't recomend it. but since it's not & it cleans the crud easily i'd do it again. but personally i wouldn't use a second hand engine unless i'd pulled it down & done a full investigation unless it was a runner already in the car.

frytime, Jun 3, 10:08pm
don't you belive it. the older ones do (92 land crusier will). the newer ones don't (2000 bounty)

mrfxit, Jun 3, 11:03pm
LOL . you HAVE to be KIDDING . yea .!

There are SOME . diesel engines DESIGNED . DESIGNED . to be STARTED on petrol. THEN SWITCHED to diesel

Eg: SOME old international BULLDOZERS & others like that with very large but LOW revingdiesel engines

There are NO DOMESTIC diesel engines DESIGNED to run on petrol & they will all die a horrible death very fast if run on straight petrol .

International Harvester developed a tractor in the 1930s that had a 7-litre 4-cylinder engine which started as a gasoline engine and ran on diesel after warming up. The cylinder head had valves which opened for a portion of the compression stroke to reduce the effective compression ratio, and a magneto produced the spark. An automatic ratchet system automatically disengaged the ignition system and closed the valves once the engine had run for 30 seconds. The operator then switched off the petrol fuel system and opened the throttle on the diesel injection system
(source) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine

crzyhrse, Jun 3, 11:34pm
No, "it's" not. You completely missed my point, as usual - what did you not understand about my prior post that made you post "What the."!

Adding an 'is' doesn't make the 'use' of the question any different.

I can see why pretty much everyone on here thinks you're a total knob - they're good judges of character!

johnf_456, Jun 3, 11:45pm
Not everyone thinks that their is a only a few that I can name of the top of my head to count to maybe 5. Which is pretty small compared to how many members use this site. I don't see whats wrong with saying "what the" in the context of something unexpected. Most people just hate arguments, but I live off them.

mrfxit, Jun 4, 1:07am
LOL. yes, you certainly did deserve that bollocking ;-)

Try this test .

4 Tin lids of, each .

Petrol (any grade)
Diesel
kerosene (any color)
Terps (any color)

Light a piece of paper tube & see which fuel burns easiest

mrfxit, Jun 4, 1:22am
LOL Andy.
Good to see you return with a sense of humor & acceptance of "being wrong"

On that note, petrol is 'mostly' non volatile as long as it's not warm/hot/ sparks around (proviso of not normally a problem on a cold day) /naked flames.
It all of course just gets worse, the hotter the day/fuel is.
With diesel, normal day temps are not normally a problem & neither are the temps inside an engine

mrfxit, May 5, 2:59pm
Ha ha ha ha yea heard that story a few times over the years, never fails to 'get a head shake' & a giggle.