2000 Astra brake/park sensor

smac, Jun 2, 7:01am
Dammit.after blowing on about how this car has been so reliable the park lock out has started playing up. Is this an electric switch on the pedal or pressure! Only fails sometimes, but getting more common, and when it does the brake lights do not work. I thought this had been mentioned before but can't find anything other than UK info. Seems to be different. Anyone any ideas!

r15, Jun 2, 7:51am
sounds like a dodgey brake pedal switch

if your even semi handy on tools this is a reasonably easy thing to test / replace

look up behind the dash on the brake pedal somewhere there will be a switch that activated when the pedal is moved from its place of rest.get a multimeter if you dont already have one - even a $10 DSE on will do (and be handy for the rest of your life) using the continuiity tester you should see a change of state when you activeate / de activate the switch. if you dont get any change here you have found your problem

smac, Jun 2, 7:52am
Ya think I can handle that.build my own engines ;)

Just wondering if anyone knew for sure on this model whether it is indeed a pedal switch before I go ripping out interior panels. Can't see one from the foot well.

thunderbolt, Jun 2, 8:26am
Sure does, had to replace the one on my wifes 2000 Astra city

smac, Apr 30, 6:13pm
Thanks for that, will go digging.