Good 4wder

damodex, May 29, 4:08am
Just wondering what would be a good 4wd! i have a 2.4 t diesel and with no lock diff its pretty bad, just looking at alternatives for round $6000 (pref deisel), i only use the truck in the weekends so it doesnt need to be too flash,

mugenb20b, May 29, 4:11am
Isuzu MU, 2.8 litre turbo diesel, manual. But they are getting old now.

pico42, May 29, 4:27am
What sort of use are you going to put it to!

damodex, May 29, 4:33am
nothing hard out just something i can take out and if needed drive to work etc, dont mind getting it dented and scratched

mugenb20b, May 29, 8:36am
A SWB, 5 speed manual, 3.0 V6 Mitsubishi Pajero, some of them come with a factory rear diff lock. And another capable vehicle would be a Suzuki Vitara 1.6, or a Samurai if you can find one.

mugenb20b, May 29, 8:46am
I used to have a 1986 Isuzu Bighorn LWB, a 1981 Holden Jackaroo, 2 1990 Hilux Surfs, 2 Isuzu MUs (2.8 and 3.1 diesels), and a '96 Nissan Terrano. All the SWB vehicles were more capable, but much less comfortable, and carry half the gear I needed. Maybe that's something to consider, if you carry a lot of recovery gear, high lift jack, chainsaw, fuel cans, spare tyres, air compressor, etc. The Bighorn was my favourite, even though it was gutless, but it was very practical.

big.b-lil.c, May 29, 1:57pm
i dont know if you will get one for $6k but my pick 4.2ltr diesel swb nissan safari with a winch and rear dif lock.

r15, May 29, 9:52pm
most capable / reliable / comfortable / fastest / economical 4wd i can think of in that price range would be KZN130 surf - eg the 1992-1995 model, either petrol or 3 litre diesel turbo, with some change left over to get some mud grips and your cooling system brought up to speed

chris241, May 29, 9:56pm
I know of a short wheel base safari has winch brand new mud tyres lsd in rear 5 speed for that price

desmodave, May 29, 10:10pm
I gave a guy a hand last weekend to tow his MU out of soft sand in myold cherokee ( well not mine any more as i sold it to a mate the week before and i had to borrow it) The jeep made it look easy.

jezz43, May 29, 10:12pm
mercedes G wagons are pretty fun. my old boss had one. never once got stuck. pretty reliable too

chris241, May 29, 10:56pm
Where's the fun in that you need to try harder

mrfxit, May 29, 11:14pm
BUT, you can PUSH it even harder

jezz43, May 30, 1:22am
exactly

chris241, May 30, 3:34am
im about to put front and rear diff locks in my landcruiser cant wait to see what it will be like

mugenb20b, May 30, 4:00am
You'll be bored to death, nothing will be a challenge any more, but it will allow you to go places where most others wouldn't dare.

lordv81, Apr 20, 2:14am
Ill be listing an 87 hilux single cab wellside on TM soon.Front solid diff model,factory LSD rear etc,new wof and reg with alloy side steps side bars and front bull bar on 15x8 centreline style alloy wheels.Wanting 4k ono.