Registration?

mrhustler, May 30, 4:33am
Is it possible to register (re-licence) a vehicle that you do not own.!

Tbh, my cousin has been drunkin and charged, and wants Me to register his car under my Name and details.So if the cops run the vehicles plates, it'll come up with my details and not his, because he would be driving it regardless just to go to & from work.

It doesn't bother me if this can or can not be done, just tryna help family out thats all.

cheers

pollymay, May 30, 4:43am
Possible yes, just give me the rego number and I'll make sure this goes over smooth and the police never know.

noswalg, May 30, 5:00am
Sounds like you are about as bright as your cousin which is obviously pretty dim! Maybe if you want to help him out try driving him to work or lend him your pushbike.

froggyb, May 30, 5:02am
Yes you can, but if he is pulled up DWD in a car that is registered to someone else, then the car will still be impounded regardless of who owns it and he will be arrested for DWD, go to court and have an extra 6 moths added to his existing sentence - added on the end and he will also end up with a further addition to his criminal record. If you live in a smaller town or rurally the car will be "marked " anyway. Does he not qualify for a Limited Licence!

blue35, May 30, 5:02am
Putting aside the ethical/moral issues to do with this, the answer would be, yes you can, but you would need to do a change of ownership tranaction to change the details to you, and then you would also be liable for any fines etc.
Just relicensing your cousins vehicle will not take his info from the database, this info is obtained from the change of ownership forms.

franc123, May 30, 5:04am
If he's already been charged with drunk driving and presumably had his licence suspended it isn't going to matter who the registered owner is, all that will happen is that he will end up in deeper doodoo than he is in already, unless a work licence can be granted and paid for.Besides theres few posters on here that condone drunk driving or the consequences of their actions, and no doubt like myself think that if this individual doesn't like walking to work or getting a ride or public transport, that should have been considered before doing dumb and illegal things.

smac, May 30, 5:16am
I assume the plan is when the brother get stopped he'll give the OP's name/DoB, which will then match the vehicle if checked. Probably his brother AND his dad anyway.

pieman33h, May 30, 5:23am
i understand that if you knowingly allow an unlicensed driver to operate your vehicle you can also be charged. Time for a long hard think about it - is it really really worth it!

mrhustler, May 30, 5:29am
Awesom answers guys, thanks.Ill let him know

smac, Apr 19, 2:54pm
Not charged, but they can impound the car and there is no recourse for those circumstances.