Advice re using a tarp over car frosty mornings

Page 1 / 2
arthurdent2, May 24, 5:24am
I'm visiting someone in a cold place in June. They have no garage and the mornings will be frosty. I have a good tarp but how can I attach it easily to thecar overnight! Would a cheapo blue tarp be better than nothing and how would Ihold it in place!

trogedon, May 24, 5:30am
A good idea frost wise but not a good idea if it??

toxicgreen., May 24, 5:32am
Just drape a rubbish bag overfront windscreen under wipers and same on rear screen, have antifreeze in radiator, the paint on yr car IS the cover.

lookoutas, May 24, 5:35am
If it's windy - there won't be a frost.

Just live with it. I do - every day in the winter.
Doesn't hurt the car.

trogedon, May 24, 5:38am
We've had wind and frost - or the wind has died down during the night and there's been a frost in the morning.

mrsdoobercoons, May 24, 5:44am
I generally don't bother tying them on, if it's windy enough to blow the tarp off, there's not going to be a frost.I've got a weight at each corner though, (milk bottle half full of water of sand tied to the tarp) and that hold it down pretty good.Untying knots on a frosty morning looses it's novelty pretty fast too.

One thing to watch with a tarp is if it rains and then freezes you've got a problem, the tarp will be frozen onto the car and you're not going to have a quick getaway when that happens.About the only option then that doesn't stuff the tarp is to run the car until the heater has thawed the car and tarp.

A cover beats the hell out of scraping the ice off in the morning.Down here (Central Otago) you're making a donation to the fund if ALL you windows aren't totally clear, and the plods really hammer it for the first few good frosts.

skyline_guy_r34, May 24, 6:24am
Why not buy a car cover! Mine cost $30ish from supercheap 2 years ago. Has elastic front and back like a fitted sheet, and is designed to go over your cars shape, you can then use the straps to tighten the cover from underneath the car, takes about 2-3minutes to put on securely, and about 30 seconds to take off in the morning.

wrong2, May 24, 6:25am
a cheep warehouse tarp is going to be similar in price to a warehouse car cover

get the one with the under-car belly strap

gunhand, May 24, 6:29am
I used to have to start at 1am so I would wander out start ute put on hot and to demist. And then I would go inside have breaky and a coffe and by the time i done that she was all toasty warm and frost free. Same for car as well but put rear window demister on as well. EASY.
Tarps and cover soon become a pain.

bdogg1, May 24, 6:44am
Yep as above. I got mine from repco for $60 bucks and its water proof on top of everything else mentioned above.

tuttyclan, May 24, 7:17am
Try putting a old towel or a sheet over the front windscreen.
The rest of the ice will melt as you drive.

net_oz, May 24, 7:23am
Don't any of you know what a bucket of warm water is!
All you gotta do is crank the car up with the demister going full. Pour the water over the screen. Go back inside and give the mrs a quick one and by the time that is over ,your car is nice and warm with no ice.

flybye_in_a_rx7, May 24, 7:29am
park near a hose!

mrsdoobercoons, May 24, 7:30am
And what happens when you get to the first intersection, or pull out you gate!I'm over having to avoid people who are peering through holes or can't see out their side windows.

A full cover is definitely the way to go if you're leaving a vehicle out in the frost and have to get away quickly in the morning.You just pull it off and go, no scraping ice or waiting for the heater to warm up.

cheviot, May 24, 7:35am
Just buy a can of crc de-icer.

mrsdoobercoons, May 24, 7:43am
That's the best choice if you can be that organised, and afford the fuel.You're also driving of in a warm and more controllable vehicle.

However, if you want the convenience of a garage, and the OP did imply that, a cover's the best way to get the same instant drivability.

trogedon, May 24, 10:05am
Easy fix - ride a bicycle. Your eyes won't freeze over and the cold is invigorating.

toycon, May 24, 10:14am
A piece of carpet cut to fit your front window and held in place with pieces of thin rope shut in the door.
No untiring just open door an hang carpet over fence till needed again.

singing1, May 24, 10:40am
Wipe the screens with Anti freeze.it works and I hear that if you cut a potato in half and rub it on the screens that it works well too.

hutchk, May 24, 11:02am
Light a small fire on your dashboard before you go to bed.

r15, May 24, 11:21am
the ultimate solution is to park your car in a garage overnight with the windows of the car down and a heat pump in your garage set to max heat.you will be able to get into a car in the morning that is nice and warm inside, no frost, and the engine may even be partially warm

or just a garage

or if your visiting, use the hose

donz01, May 24, 11:30am
Drop into your local carpet shop and get a couple oldcarpet samples. They usually have bound edges and 2 will be big enough to cover most of the screen.I only use 1 and just place it on the windscreen without any ties. It has never fallen off even when its windy. In the morning it will usually be frozen and it slides off easily.

richms, May 24, 11:34am
Timer and a heater in the car worked for me for 7am starts in winter. There are little baby 600w oil heaters for peanuts at bunnings etc that sit great in the passanger side footwell area. 20 mins of that before leaving and the car is warm and clear. Just put the cord out the drivers side so you remember to unplug it.

tuttyclan, May 24, 11:39pm
Keep driving the car it wont have time to freeze up lol.

elect70, May 25, 1:30am
Super cheap covers are ok(so long as it doesnt get flogged , sosth auck would be gone by dark )DONt use those w house blue things , they can stick to paint if gets sun on it