You need to take the law in to your own hands

Page 2 / 2
gbbrot, Sep 13, 8:57pm
First offense, cut the left hand off. Second, cut the other one off!

boxburger, Sep 13, 9:01pm
3.3% crime solved rate! The future is in that statistic. People are being forced to be vigilantes. I think there would be many cases when the Police were given very strong leads that were not pursued. I reckon they'd get a rego number to chase up in more than 3.3% of reported break-ins.

Hopefully we'll get so fed up with the status quo, crooks screaming about their rights and victims being palmed off with 2 word Police investigations into the crimes "Bummer Mate" things will change. It might take a few more dancing taggers yet.

boxburger, Sep 13, 9:04pm
I also think the cops will be all over this McCluskey guy's case now.

In 24 hours the Police PR guy will be ringing the Herald Police Reporter."Hey Scottie, you know that story you ran on that chap that had to chase up his own burglary! I've got a follow up story for you, we've collared the scumbags, there's a bit of a yarn there, I'll email it to you, ready to print."

ontwowheels, Sep 14, 1:59am
About 5 years ago we had a spat of break ins at a mates house on the North Shore. 3 times in 2 months.TheCars in the drive, people home. on the third break in I was parked on the road visiting, we happened to go outside for a smoke just as these w@nkers were breaking into my holden for the 2ndtime. Idiots smashed another window to get in even although the quarter window on opposite side had not been repaired yet and had plastic over it. They got nothing except a zippo as I had not replaced the stereo either. I Ran down the drive and managed to get their number plate. we opted to ring the police rather than chasing them. The police didn't want to know about it even though it was literally minutes since the thieves had driven off and we had a full discription and number plate. The police told me to go into the local police station with a report the next day. Next day I went down to the takapuna cop shop and The donkeys rear end of a cop didn't even want to filll out a report. told me there was nothing they could do and to go away. I pointed out that he has to take a statement, and I at least need the report so I can claim insurance, even though I know he will biff it in the bin when I leave. That fired him up.
We looked up the theives address and drove past the house once, but never did anything about it as they looked pretty rough.

Wish we had these f@#ksticks obviously just keep on getting away with it.
Ill bet if we had chased them (and speed to catch up) within a few streets there would have been a cop cruising looking for speding tickets to give out. They could easily have put a call out to tell all patrol cars in the area to keep an eye out for that car. Guess that doesn't bring in as much revenue though does it.
Make s it hard to have faith in our system

boxburger, Sep 14, 2:21am
I've always got the best results by targeting the top man. Nobody cares as much about an operation as the guy at the top.

The other thing these guys like is unpolluted feedback from the trenches, they are usually surrounded by sycophants that gild the lie of the land.

If you write a letter to Bill Gates, he won't open it, but if the person that does feels your letter falls within parameters of Bill's 'The incoming mail I want to see' he will read your letter and as I say.They love feedback from customers, especially the bad stuff. That's what requires their attention, not the letters of praise etc.

If I had a similar experience ontwo I'd write to the Police Commissioner and outline my problems. If nothing happened, I'd write to him again and outline the timing and actions I felt I had been forced to take off my own bat. Nothing illegal, self defence as required, Citizen's arrest etc.

twink19, Sep 14, 4:11am
we had our letter box trashed 4 times, same boys each time, police to busy to drive the 3 kms to my place, took care of it myself, a good smack in the head sorted it, never happened again

kazbanz, Sep 14, 4:13am
Guys --almost exactly 2 years ago I had a 50cc kids quad snatched from out front of our place.
We had 3 witnesses. We had full description of the thieving scum down to the clothing.We had the Year,made ,model,distinguishing features of the car they were driving. I FOLLOWED them for about 3 km trying to get a response from the local police. To cap it off they made their escape DIRECTLY PASTthe local area police station so a cop could have literally walked out the door and nabbed the crooks.
NOWT --nada- not a thing.
Within an hour I had name and address of the owner of the vehicle
I put the word out through Kiwibiker other contacts
and put an advert on trade me for the quad saying that it had been stolen and "this person"driving "this vehicle" had stolen our quad.
Within 48 hours I had a phone call from the "innocent" owner of the car who "sold it" to someone he knew and if I'd call the dogs off he'd get the quad back.within 24 hours the quad reapeared.
6 WEEKS LATER I got a call from the local Police to say they had just started to investigate the theft.

im_andrew, Sep 14, 4:17am
I caught a guy prowling around our yard trying to get into a couple of the busses a few months ago, had a length of garden hose and a fuel can with him (obviously stealing diesel). When I spotted him, he took off. I ended up chasing the guy across wellington. Got a good description of his ute, as well as the license plate. Went to the post office and got the owners details and mailed him a trespass notice. I think its about all you can do these days. Once you have trespassed someone (verbally, or by sending notice by registered mail to their normal place of residence within NZ) you are then able to use reasonable force to remove them, or (at night) detain them.
There is a section in the crimes act on 'crimes by night' that allows you to detain people if you have strong reason to believe they are comitting a crime against a person or property. Handy stuff to know.

kazbanz, Sep 14, 6:03am
Actually heres the joke of the law as it stands. 2 "people" climbed up a 6 foot fence then over a 3 strand barbed wire cap on the fence at 2 am in the morning. At that point in time wouldn't it be reasonable to believe they aren't in the place of buisiness for a social visit or for lawfull reasons! --Aparently one must assume that they are doing just that --making a social visit

johnf_456, Sep 14, 6:10am
Good stuff that article, it does not surprise me one bit that article. Same with my partners car, got all the info including description etc. But nooo they were to busy doing more important dutys, we all know what they are. If they can't issues fines they are not interested.Makes you rage everytime you think about it. Its just sad we have such low lifes in society called New Zealanders that do this.

moosie_21, Sep 14, 6:11am
If I ever catch thieving buggers in the act they better have a get away vehicle, because I can run for miles at top speed.

johnf_456, Sep 14, 6:11am
The other storys in here, do not surprise me one bit.

johnf_456, Sep 14, 6:13am
Yup thats also reported crime to, most people don't report minor crimes unless they have to for insurance purposes.

un_known, Sep 14, 7:27am
the situation isnt going to get any better unless people demand better results from the police. were too lax in this country we let too many important things slide.we need to speak out, protest, revolt. Nothing ever gets done unless some1 makes a fuss out of it.

I had 6 cops go out of their way to pull me down out of a tree at the v8 supercars and then 4 hours later told me they did not have the resources to investigate a burglary inwhich a brand new van and thousands of dollars worth of equipment was taken.

crime is only going to get worse if we sit back and let this happen.Imagine what the theives are thinking after reading that article."i only have a 3% chance of getting caught! lets go on a spree"

moosie_21, Sep 14, 7:48am
Too true. We need to work on the justice system as well.Anyone good at organising protests and being an all around bad-ass! (Queue Biker_69 here.)

ginga4lyfe, Sep 14, 8:02am
yeah the Justice system is UTTERLY Flawed, Some dick ran a red light and t-boned Dads van and then ran, usual story Police wouldnt do a thing, so took the details to the post office, went around to the offenders place took pictures of the car that hit the van, now we also had CCTV evidence because it was right outside the Airport, But NOPE the Police said " unsubstantial evidence of reckless driving ( Coz apparently anyone could have been driving the car ) but we still filled out forms, then Insurance gave us the run around saying that he denies ever damaging anything and refused to pay anything so they didnt take him to court, he didnt get any fines, and we ended up with a Rooted Van, all that was wrong with his Car was a broken headlight and no more bumper. Dad And i really REALLY wanted to take a couple of friends with some solid swing-able objects back to the guys car, but then we. the victims of a hit and run( Civil matter apparently ), would then be in the shit from the police ( which some how becomes a Non Civil matter ), its just bloody CRAZY!

un_known, Sep 14, 8:55am
ginga ya gotta fight fire with fire, the same rules apply to you.Smash up his car with a more solid vehicle 4x4 or streetstock perfect for this then do the runner.Even if he had footage of you doing it if you couldnt be identified as the driver then "unsubstantial evidence for conviction"

moosie_21, Sep 14, 9:01am
Screw that, kidnap his ass and threaten to dump him in the ocean in little pieces where no one will find him. Take him to nearest ATM and make him get money right then and there, problem solved.

big.b-lil.c, Sep 14, 7:15pm
yeah i got a boat the trip over the manakau bar and out to 150mtr depth (where my fish finder stops working) should make anyone think abought the odds of ever making that long cold swim

elect70, Sep 15, 2:39am
I had a car stolen & crashed . The perp went to nearest house & called a cab . Police took statement from cabbieto were he was dropped offWas 15 year oldso cant prosecute /get reparation . Well known to police as 4th time thatyear he hadstolen cars for joy ride .

geoff_m, Sep 15, 9:48am
No news here - our family has cars and houses robbed 10 times. Don't bother reporting to the cops since they won't turn up. let alone actually investigate. A couple we have as it has been worth the insurance claim, but that is the only reason.

I wouldn't p*ss on the cops if they were on fire - since they won't help me. Let me run the country and I can assure you burglaries will decrease, and repeat offenders will diminish considerably.
IMO it should be like some states in the US - someone breaks into your house, then it is assumed they are on unlawful business and your life is at risk - so you can defend yourself by any means you deem necessary, without waiting to be murdered first.

pitchey, Mar 29, 3:46pm
All I hear is wahh wahh wahh about the cops in here.

FFS, how about you start writing letters to your MP demanding that the higher ups start directing the Police Commissioner to let the general plod go back out on the beat!

True, I've met a couple of plonker cops but have also met some real good ones too.

How about we direct our attention to the top of the food chain where all the decisions are made about what Johnny-Cop at the bottom of the food chain is supposed to do with his day!