Mitsi 4G64

big_oily, May 20, 12:11pm
4G64 single cam 1992 - is it possible to covert manual engine to auto - I know the difference is 6 or 7 bolt crank - is it possible to weld and redrill holes in driveplate to convert!

phillip.weston, May 20, 8:38pm
the 6/7 bolt difference isn't between auto/manual, it's more the generation of engine. A 1992 engine will most likely be the 8V engine so will have a 6 bolt crank, regardless if it's auto or manual. What is the engine in! there will be a bellhousing bolt pattern difference between the FWD and RWD 4G64s.

big_oily, May 20, 11:22pm
Thanks for that - lot of misinformation out there on these engines as I have read that 6 bolt = auto, 7 = manual. We have corrosponded already regarding what would fit this L300 exceed but engine/auto still in vehicle so present bolt configeration unknown.
From chassis plate - Engine 4G64 ext SKW, Model E -PO4W HSRPE2, Chassis PO4W 0200300.
Been offered single cam, 7bolt engine type F31A - awaiting word as to whether this is ex van and if auto.
Given your vast knowledge can you shed any more light on this as I only seem to be able to acheive brief unsubstanstiated glimmers in the dark.

phillip.weston, May 20, 11:26pm
F31A is Diamante/Magna and is FWD and will be SOHC 16V with 7 bolt crankshaft. It will also have the 'narrow block' bellhousing pattern in which the bottom most dowels/holes are 310mm apart. Your existing engine will be a SOHC 8V with 6 bolt crank and 'wide block' bellhousing pattern which has 330mm dowel spacing. You need to get an auto box from an L300 van specifically.

When the engines changed to 16V in 1993 (in the L300) that's when they also changed to 7 bolt crankshaft. I think the 16V 93 onwards L300 auto trans will bolt to your existing engine, but the difference will be the flex plate. I think the torque converter would attach to a 6 bolt flex plate fine.

big_oily, May 21, 12:19am
Thanks for that - great to have such info on tap.

petermcg, May 21, 4:28am
the mitsi van automatic is an AW 372L and is the same transmission as the A45DL used in toyota vans, just change bell housing.

807, May 21, 5:26am
phillip weston.for God's sake don't ever leave the country !

phillip.weston, Mar 15, 12:54am
Too late! I'm outta here mid-august!