Ford to produce SUV's in China.

mapman, May 19, 10:18pm
Ford fan??

guider1, May 19, 10:28pm
Hahahaha. you stirring mapman!

At the end of the day China will end up producing most things based on production costs alone. which is fine so long as the quality standard stays up.

johnf_456, May 19, 10:37pm
Stirring all right

rsr72, May 19, 10:44pm
The world's major car makers are gearing up for full production of their models in China.
Within 20 years most NZ cars will be coming from there.

mapman, May 19, 10:53pm
Haha, nothing like having a bit of fun and stating facts at the same time.

dr.doolittle, May 19, 11:06pm
Yes & China will become such a massive producer that it's citizens will all become incredibly wealthy from the rest of the words spending-up large. As a result the Chinese will become massive consumers.
Then the western world(Jo blogs) will have to work for peanuts to eek-out a living manufacturing goods to supply them.

guider1, May 19, 11:11pm
Correct dr. but no one thinks like that until it's too late, all people can see in the moment is the pricetag difference on similar goods. I try to buy NZ made where I can, but some things are just plain ridiculous so end up buying chinese manufactured items.

guider1, May 19, 11:15pm
The other thing is, that here in NZ the person re-selling the imported goods get too greedy. Not many work on turnover, it's all about sheer profit. I'm building a large 5th wheel trailer & the price of some of the components is insane. ie; electric brakes here sell for around the $2000 mark, yet I can get the same item (same in every way including the manufacturer) for 1/4 of the price from China, so i'd be mad not to. The money I saved payed for 2 water tanks, high pressure water pump & the shower.

franc123, May 20, 12:28am
Your point!It's more a question of who WON'T be manufacturing in China, either now or in the future.Ford probably figure that doing some manufacturing in China can't be worse for their reputation than sourcing nearly your whole product range from a second rate financially turbulent outfit like Daewoo in Korea and still producing the Dunnydore in Oz just for appearances sake, at least Ford are still doing most of their development in house and putting badges on their own crap, or part Mazda crap.Both GM and Ford have always sourced globally and from lower wage countries, Brazil, Argentina, Spain, and of course various parts of Eastern Europe and Asia, there is nothing new about it.If you can manage to slip your own ego out of your HSV jacket before getting into your Japanese car can you tell us where the label says it's made!

thejazzpianoma, May 20, 12:49am
Couple of things,

1. Just to stir the pot a bit more, from memory the Ford Rangers we get are made in Thailand, that from that what you will.

2. Its going to be interesting to see how things play out over the next few years. My money was even on the States doing two things either suffering a slow demise over the next decade or a sudden and spectacular one.
Of the last few weeks I am erring on the side now of a fast and spectacular Financial Collapse. By fast I don't mean tomorrow but more of a case of when it happens (say anytime from tomorrow until 4 years from now) it will likely happen within a day or even hours or minutes. You see we now have electronic markets and once the dollar really starts crashing the likes of China and other holders of large reserves may just suddenly dump much or all of their holdings.

With electronic checks and stops in the system coming in to play the dollar may be completely worthless in a matter of hours or even minutes.

Now when that happens much of Europe may go down the gurgler as well.

Now thats going to affect China and production there in a number of ways. For starters they are going to lose much of their export earnings for a good while. Then you have to consider that they may lose much or all of their massive holding of U.S dollars.

Then you have to consider the viability of the world building everything over in China going foward.

You need to consider that people don't just build stuff in China because their Dollar is artificially low and labour is cheap. Thats a part of it but more so the advantage of China is that there is little to no regulation on industry. Compare that to wanting to build something in the States where you need a license and to pay a fee for every little thing and you have a huge difference. Even the increasingly expensive shipping costs don't make a dent in it.

Now, with that in mind consider what will happen when the States collapses financially. Chances are they may start fresh with very little regulation themselves, probably not by choice but it may well happen. Couple that with a new currency that is not a world reserve currency and we may see an eventual return to the days when Americans built stuff. lost of stuff!

Of course this may well be mirrored elsewhere too.

Food for thought.

mapman, May 20, 1:13am
Yeah, food for thought indeed and well said. China needs European and American markets, without them China goes back into the dark days of just a few years ago.

thejazzpianoma, May 20, 1:42am
It certainly does need them for massive growth. However I don't think they will necessarily go back to where they started without massive exports. They have a thriving domestic market, technology and education now so would likely be able to maintain a fairly good level of development. They should at least be able to hold their own against other nations now.

But you are right in that things would be very different to how they are now.

cocabowla, May 20, 3:31am
whats important is they will be a FORD made in china , not a rebadged daewoo that just coz they put a holden badge on it all the lemmings flock to buy.

mapman, May 20, 7:03am
Wow cocabowla, you have six Holden products for sale on your Trademe account, one of which is in fact a Holden Badge. Do you stand behind what you sell, or are you just hoping for lemmings to flock to buy your products. You really must think before you post.

boss17, May 20, 9:03am
Mapman there is news that GM is now going to build US cars in Chinahttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/general-motors/5323274/GM-plans-to-export-cars-from-China-to-the-US.html

Jazz the Ranger is built in Thailand but also the Holden Rodeo was and theHolden Colorado is and also the Toyota Hilux for our region so its pretty common stuff already and has been for a while.

A percentage of the Commodorewill come from China too mapman.

cocabowla, May 20, 9:09am
if you'd read further you'd see they're all on behalf for an 80 yr old so not bothered if they sell or not, exatcly what relevance this is to the topic of chinese made vehicles beats me.

mapman, May 20, 9:41am
boss17, absolutely and FAW have already built one and showed it off at the Shanghai Auto Show. It had an FAW badge on the front but that was just a smoke screen. Google the Chinese name FAW Kun Cheng and you should find it. The production line has only just fired up yesterday and they will be built at FAW-GM??

icemans1, May 20, 1:09pm
will Ford become Chord or Fawd!

ginga4lyfe, Mar 13, 4:48pm
That like made me hungry for some tonton noodle soup that the chinese shop up the road makes.!