Advice Please!

Page 1 / 2
pugmyre, May 16, 5:54am
Hey guys.A friend needs a car urgently for work, has been offered a Rover 216, 1998 auto for $1500-00.138 kms.What do you think!Cheers.

phillip.weston, May 16, 6:00am
so long as the cambelt has been done recently and there is some history regarding the head gasket issue those engines are prone to, I would say it's an alright buy. They aren't a very hardy car though, the interior often falls apart early.

doriandarby, May 16, 6:02am
AFAIK the 1.6 is NOT a Rover K series engine therefore no head gasket problems. But the bodywork is prone to rusting.

Have owned a 416 in the past - engine was good (noisy when cold but good enough power) - rusted like a rusty thing tho

franc123, May 16, 6:03am
They're cheap for a reason.Get the running shoes on NOW.

pugmyre, May 16, 6:07am
OUCH!Not really what we want to hear but do know that most of you know what you're talking about.

doriandarby, May 16, 6:11am

carmedic, May 16, 6:23am
Phil I don??

pugmyre, May 16, 6:30am
Carmedic:We personally own a Rover which has a Honda D16y3 engine.This car in question has a Rover Engine.Not sure of numbers but it is auto and a 4 door hatch.

phillip.weston, May 16, 6:45am
a friend of mine had a late 90s Rover 200 5dr hatch, 1.6 auto and had done about 80k. I was fairly sure it had the K series engine - it sure as heck wasn't a Honda engine anyhow.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 6:50am
LOL I have been biting my lip on commenting, those who remember what happened last time will know why!

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 6:52am
Incidentally, the K series engine is a lot better when its not fitted to the MGF. Its the access and cooling system in the MGF that gave it a bad name.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 6:54am
I can't stand it anymore (looks around hoping Kaz isn't about).
carmedic you are correct. The Auto 1.6 is always the Honda engine assuming 95-99 model years.
The K Series is also a 1.6 but is only fitted to the manual cars.

carmedic, May 16, 7:01am
If that??

pugmyre, May 16, 7:05am
Have just checked it out, and this is a 16K engine.Is this good, bad or ugly!

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 7:08am
Hang on, I read wrong (got confused actually because you were talking about 400's.
The car in question is a 200 series though, I am not sure what the engine options were there. I do think some were offered with a CVT as opposed to the auto in the 400's so I really don't know which engine it will have.

franc123, May 16, 7:08am
Reread post #4.Trust me you don't want to know about the bad and the ugly, there is no good.If you want to see how one of these vehicles is supposed to serve its owner, this vehicles cousin the Honda Civic should be bought instead.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 7:08am
CVT or regular Auto!

pugmyre, May 16, 7:11am
The only reason my mate is looking at this car is cos we have one with a d16y3 Honda engine and they like it.This one we're talking about however is definitely a 16k engine.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 7:12am
I am also pretty sure its a CVT. I would avoid for so many reasons. Check out the Fiat its an absolute cracker of a car, it looks well looked after and has had the cambelt done.
They are a really nice machine, good on gas, parts are cheap, they are reliable and really nice to drive and travel in. Plenty of go to with the 1.8 engine option.

carmedic, May 16, 7:18am
Jazz it'l be cvt not auto if its a 16k.
Buy the Fiat or run away I??

pugmyre, May 16, 7:19am
Franc123 & jazz - appreciate your input.We're taking notice of what you have said because we were the ones that would have to finance the car for them.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 7:20am
Agreed!

pugmyre, May 16, 7:22am
Yeah that's a pretty good choice too.Totally agree.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 7:22am
My car has very similar running gear to the Brava and I know those cars really well. If you want to know more about it just ask. I have been watching that one for a couple of weeks because its such a bargain (assuming its in as good a nick as it looks)

pugmyre, May 16, 7:26am
We actually live 50km from Wanganui.Will arrange to go and have a look.