Toyota Superstrut Suspension

heavydee, May 15, 4:48am
I've recently purchased a Curren which I'm mostly happy with but it appears the superstrut is worn out.There's no play in the suspension, it handles well, and it's just passed a WOF but it makes all kinds of knocks when you go over bumps - doesn't sound good.

I've done a bit of searching on the net and it seems the most common repairs are a replacment of the Figure 8 and lower arm components.Has anyone had experience replacing worn components in a Celica / Curren / Trueno with this set up!What sort of cost am I looking at!

morrisman1, May 15, 4:49am
A workmate has just replaced quite a few suspension bushes in a superstrut 20v levin I think it is for the reason that it sounded like a bag of bolts when driving down the road.

heavydee, May 15, 6:07am
From what I can tell you need to actually replace whole components rather than just bushes.

The only prices I've found so far are from UK websites and they are fairly ridiculous.I'm hoping local prices are a bit more reasonable.

loose.unit8, May 15, 6:08am
We had a AE111 levin with superstrut.Banged when going over bumps as you describe.WOF guys just had no clue, over the 2 years we had it 1st let us through no trouble, next told us the springs were wrong and to get new ones, next told us the shocks were wrong.Funny thing was, it didn't get any better but they would pass the wof after we'd done the work.
Finally (just before we sold it) my mechanic brother found the source of trouble was one of the lower arm pivots wasn't pivoting.if I remember correctly there is two pivot points at the bottom of the suspension strut - it was one of those.Once it was freed up it was an even nicer ride than it had been.So annoying we only found it just before we sold it!

loose.unit8, Feb 21, 8:02am
If you look at the super strut diagram on this page
http://www.antiguastreetz.com/forums/showthread.php!t=1563
it was the smaller piece within the square box on the diagram