Question for Mr Phillip Weston.

paddy1234, May 14, 12:10am
I have a 2000 legnum VR4 MT and have a strange rattle during idle. Sounds like its coming from the rear of the engine around the rear turbo.

Have been told it could be a spring too tight on the bov, a lose heat shield or a knackered engine mount. Thoughts!

phillip.weston, May 14, 2:03am
sounds worse than something loose! is that noise there through the rev range!

zab054, May 14, 2:29am
Lol,its a mitsi.

paddy1234, May 14, 3:24am
Can only hear it when its idling, cant hear anything when revving.

ginga4lyfe, May 14, 3:53am
sounds pretty uniform and consistent, It could be the power steering pump!

phillip.weston, May 14, 3:54am
yeah I'm thinking something like power steering pump or clutch release bearing. Try pushing in the clutch to see if the noise stops, if the noise continues then I would remove the alternator belt and the power steering/air con belt and run the engine and check if the noise is still there.

johnf_456, May 14, 4:03am
Another good trick OP is to get a long sold screw driver and put it up next to various parts of the engine and put it upto your ear. Just like the doc listens to your heart. I have used this method myself for pin pointing various noises.

paddy1234, May 14, 5:57am
It looks like the power steering pulley has a slight wobble to it. Will try those things tomorrow. Im guessing those belts are hard to get off being a vr4!

paddy1234, May 14, 6:01am
Thanks will try tomorrow

johnf_456, May 14, 6:02am
Good luck

mugenb20b, May 14, 7:02am
Nah, piece of cake actually.

mugenb20b, May 14, 7:03am
You mean a stethoscope. $20 from Repco or Supercheap.

johnf_456, May 14, 7:46am
Why get one of those when a screw driver does the job, no need to go out buying special parts. You seem to like picking on my posts, but yes I bite back. Any metal tool can be used for sound diagnosing really which of course most people have if your into fixing cars so why go out and buy one for one job. Yeah if your do it all the time it might be a good move but for one job and wasted gas to get it, its over the top.

Simple use the best of what you have, has they say kiwi ingenuity, mechanics are generally good at this.

mugenb20b, May 14, 7:56am
I'll take it you've never used a stethoscope before. It gives a much clearer and crisper sound than a screwdriver or other metal objects, and it makes the job easier, not to mention, look more professional. For a sake of 20 odd measly bucks, mechanics will happily pay for one and use it for many years to come.

johnf_456, Feb 17, 6:14pm
Has I said "Yeah if your do it all the time it might be a good move but for one job and wasted gas to get it, its over the top"

The OP is doing a one off job by the looks of it, if you read my posts rather than jumping in the deep end you will see I'm not doubting them. But what I am saying is make use of the tools available which you already have, everyone has metal tools so why not use them. If hes out at the shops sure pick one up but If he has tools lying around at home whats wrong with using them, its better than the human ear trying to pin point with nothing.

Who care if it looks professional if its in his own personal garage does professionalism really matter! The OP is in Upper Hutt City so depending where he is it could be a long drive to the nearest supercheap / repco whatever. I am not doubting the use of them, but for a one off job and if your lazy why not use it right!

So the cheek to say I have not used one is a bit of an insult, because I use them lots but if I don't have one I will use improvise. AKA using the best of what you have to spell it out for you.