96 caldina - cambelt & cv joint.

steves73, May 12, 9:23am
just wondering if anyone knewthe round a bouts cost of replacing cam belt and drivers side cv joint in 96 1800 caldina. how long labour wise for each! any special tools, maybe i could do them myself!

thanks

mugenb20b, May 12, 9:31am
Cambelt 2.5 to 3 hours and about $300, CV joint 1 hour and about $150. Special tools, a good trolley jack and axle stands, a power bar. If you haven't done a cambelt and CVs before then don't try and do them yourself.

steves73, May 13, 3:43am
thanks for your concern. im pretty sure i can do both, considering ive stripped my old school vehicle to bare shell and half way through ground up rebuild.

all i need is some guidiance. prob give the cambelt a miss on having a gork this arvo, but definitealy do the outter CV.

if there is anything that one should know or hints on replacing CV's, would be most helpful

dave653, May 13, 3:45am
Yeah. don't cock it up! Are you rebuilding the Trana!

johnf_456, May 13, 5:30am
Or just find someone who is mechanically minded that can teach you, that way you can do it yourself knowing its done properly and next time you will know how to do it. Ask friends, brothers, cousins anyone. That is one of the best ways of learning something when you are not in the trade.

jasongroves, May 13, 7:51am
Just buy a workshop manual, or head to the library and photocopy the pages you need.
Theres also plenty of videos online with how to guides on replacing CV joints.
If you cant find one for the Caldina, try looking for a Corona of a similar year.

jasongroves, May 13, 8:02am

steves73, Feb 14, 10:50pm
ahh true, the good old library. ill check it out. thanks