Mitsubishi Galant VR4 2.5 TT VS Legacy B4 TT

grangies, May 12, 9:11am
Tell him to take his time and try and find one with genuine low k's, that someone has owned since new or near new during a mid-life crisis. lol.

DONT buy one off a young boy-racer. !

mugenb20b, May 12, 9:12am
Holy $hit, I wouldn't go near those cars. I find it easier to work on Mitsis than Subarus, but hell, they are both ticking time bombs in my opinion.

mugenb20b, May 12, 9:17am
Hmmm.I think Subaru is slightly better.Mitsis have $hit gearboxes and transfer cases.

phillip.weston, May 12, 9:20am
Both will go fine if looked after, if not then there's alot to go wrong.

The Galant is perhaps just that much more complex - they both have two cylinder heads with four cams and a long cam belt driving everything, but the Galant has two extra cylinders, although it comes with an extra 500cc of displacement.

Not a great deal goes wrong with the Galant VR-4 V6 motors if they are not heavily modified, they tend to run bearings and eject rods from the block if they are pushed beyond 350-400hp on a stock bottom end. Hydraulic lifters can get tappy with wear, especially if it hasn't had frequent oil changes. Proma MBL8 can quieten that up temporarily or $300ish will get you a new set of revised 3rd gen hydraulic lifters. Manual gearboxes are the same as per Lancer Evolution4/5/6 and are quite strong - the rear AYC diff can get noisey or clunky but sometimes an AYC fluid flush can fix that, otherwise an Evo5+ AYC diff is a direct drop in, as is any non-AYC LSD diff from an Evo4-9 RS. The turbos on the 2.5 are quite small, they are all about the mid-range punch rather than top end power, they work in parallel as opposed to sequentially like the Subaru, which often the primary turbo will give out, or at least have a 'valley of death'.

I think they are both good cars, just as good or as bad as each other. I myself would probably go for the Galant, I prefer the smoother power delivery and engine note of the V6, and I like the agressive exterior styling over the Legacy also - but I think the Legacy has a much nicer interior and that distinct boxer rumble is enough to sway some people.

grangies, May 12, 9:24am
None of the 2 are built to be driven (hard) all the time though.

Virtually no cars off the factory floor are built to be driven like race cars.

phillip.weston, May 12, 9:32am
201,000kms on the original gearbox/transfer case on my VR-4 and no worries at all.

mugenb20b, May 12, 9:39am
Hey, that's great, but some people try and do stupid things (clutch dumps) and break stuff. Every time I drive VR4s, I find that selecting second gears are always notchy, as if synchros can't keep up.

phillip.weston, May 12, 9:46am
like drag racing! http://tinyurl.com/3r8an8b or track racing! http://tinyurl.com/3zebbzf

But yes, you're right about the synchros, usually 2nd gear, have found most of my Mitsis to do that, but don't seem to get worse over time.

mugenb20b, May 12, 9:53am
Sorry, I meant people trying to do burnouts in AWD vehicles on dry solid surface, which of course isn't a good idea in general.

phillip.weston, May 12, 9:55am
*tries to find said photos/footage*. might just incriminate me though :P

phillip.weston, May 12, 10:05am
^^ thanks - that pass was a 13.77 but the best on the day was 13.68. Mostly stock, at that stage it only had an aftermarket muffler and BOV - now it's back to stock muffler and BOV. Don't forget this thing weighs 1450kgs and is just about fully optioned including leather interior.

oddbits, May 12, 10:11am
Subaru is my pickI bought a Legacy B4RSK 18mths ago and I love it, looks good and drives well with no problems what so ever.
And Ive heard them described as a death trap but thats bull . It has a good safety rating & pretty economical .

ct9a, May 12, 11:43pm
quicker then most stock holdens aye scotty!

phillip.weston, May 13, 12:11am
stock boost is about 10-11psi, but factory boost solenoid has been modified so it is around 12-13psi. As mine is a VR-4 Evolution the turbo is the same Evo II/III TD05 big16G as standard.

ct9a, May 13, 12:46am
whats 1/4 you pulling maaate

321mat, May 13, 1:05am
Subarus ALSO have gearboxes made of tissue paper, and clutches (don't even go near an auto!BANG!) that appear to have been made from the peel-off paper from inside a margarine container.

AND, Subarus are AT LEAST 3X more expensive to service and maintain, as the dealers are nothing more than a bunch of CROOKS.
Go with the Mitsubishi - at least if anything goes wrong, they will want to help you, as the importers are dedicated to maintaining a decent level of customer service, as are most of the dealers.And parts are (relatively) cheap, too.

321mat, May 13, 1:10am
Oh, and the turbos on the Legacys (and Imprezas) are not reliable - none last more than 150-180,000km.

And do any Subaru dealers care about this (or even tell you what to expect)!
The hell they do.
The EJ20 (in all forms) engine has been around for at least the last 12 years, and Subaru have NEVER bothered to fix the mechanical design faults this motor has.
Subaru are the modern day British Leyland.-Management don't give a stuff about the people who buy their cars.
(and now we have a new contender for ineptness of design and reliability on the horizon (well, they've been there for a while now) - Hyundai.Complete and utter rubbish from dog-eating Koreans.You are seriously delusional if you think your new Hyundai will have any resale value.Or long term reliability. Ha ha ha.Serves you right for being a completely retarded idiot in the first place for buying one.

But back to the theme.
Subaru dealers are nothing but scum.This is why the (probably) best car in NZ rates way down in about 15th or 16th place on the new car sales charts - the dealers are slimey maggots who the general public (with money to spend) KNOW to stay away from.
Customer service with INTEGRITY and HONESTY is something Subaru dealers know NOTHING about.

Buy a Mitsubishi - I've owned both, and I know which importer (when I had major faults with BOTH cars) treated me with respect and in a honest manner, and it was NOT Subaru.

vtecintegra, May 13, 1:12am
While the failure rate is pretty high I've seen much higher mileage than that original turbos.

ct9a, May 13, 3:39am
gosh they are really really lagging behind the japs very dissapointed,congrats on doing the same times as my old type R when i was 17 welldone.

fiatracer, May 13, 4:20am
Yep, good call. It makes my stomach turn every time I hear one

ct9a, May 13, 4:25am
that seriously is pathetic,go to the night wars and watch what everyones doing in nz

hondas make f1 cars do holdens!

real metal gosh your great for a laugh a true true westie/bogan

ct9a, Feb 13, 9:09am
why dont you purchase a ve hsv and stop trying so hard or do you not earn enough ! id say your intelligence is guiding you along a cruisy path in life with your attitude